When these Air Fryer Ground Chicken Burgers are on the menu, expect a stampede!
These ground chicken burgers are so amazing because they’re mixed with bbq sauce, Panko breadcrumbs and a handful of seasonings then air-fried until they are crispy on the outside and super juicy on the inside. These are so flavorful and they make a fantastic dinner, or they can be used for batch cooking or make ahead meals for busy days. Chop, crumble, or slice cooked chicken burgers and add to a salad, a power bowl, or a hearty wrap or sandwich. The options are endless with this versatile recipe.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Air Fryer Ground Chicken Burgers recipe to your DINNER Board!
Best Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- Make these Trader Joe’s copycat burgers anytime you want a homemade version that can be seasoned any way you like! These chicken burgers have a distinctive spicy flavor and are a lighter, delicious departure from everyday beef!
- Double up the batch and keep these crowd-pleasing patties warm in the oven! And don’t forget to make that air fryer do double duty with a healthy side of Air Fryer Roasted Cauliflower or use the oven to make some hot and crispy Oven Baked Fries. Bring a zesty salad like this Greek Salad Recipe or a Black Bean Corn Salad to the party.
Ingredients and Variations
GROUND CHICKEN: Ground chicken is very lean because it’s mostly made with breast meat, so it needs a little help in the juiciness department. Use as is or use a 1:1 ratio with ground pork for super juicy burgers!
BREADING: Panko breadcrumbs are perfect for holding everything together and seasoned enough to add to the flavor without overwhelming the recipe. Going low-carb? Use crushed pork rinds in place of Panko!
SAUCE: Bbq or chili sauce mixed in makes the burgers extra juicy and a little bit spicy! Buffalo sauce, Ranch dressing, or ketchup can also be used in the mixture, too!
SEASONINGS: Garlic, oregano and a little salt and pepper is all this recipe needs for perfectly seasoned burgers. Want to get a Texas-style burger? Try adding this DIY Fajita Seasoning or this Homemade Taco Seasoning.
BUNS: Big burgers needs equally big buns and we cannot lie! Use thicker kaiser rolls, ciabatta bread, or make your own with this super easy Homemade Hamburger Buns recipe. Or go low carb and wrap it in a large piece of crisp head lettuce!
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
Tasty chicken burgers are so easy to make in the air fryer:
- Blend together everything except the ground chicken in a bowl (per recipe below).
- Add the chicken and mix well. Form into 4 large patties.
- Spray each chicken patty with cooking spray and fry them in a single layer in the air fryer until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
PRO TIP: Grill cooked burgers so they get those charcoal grill marks just like the store-bought frozen ones have!
PRO TIP: Squeeze a little fresh lime juice over each burger before serving.
Toppings for Chicken Burgers
Prepare a BYO Burger Bar with everyone’s favorite toppings! We like tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, onions, sautéed onions, Pickled Jalapenos, dill or sweet pickles, green chilis, avocado slices, even a fried egg! Don’t forget all the best condiments, too! Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, relish, chili sauce, Thousand Island dressing, even Guacamole, and Restaurant Style Salsa
Air Fryer Tips & Tricks
- Always preheat the air fryer before cooking chicken burgers so the hot air can seal in all that juicy goodness!
- For best results, avoid overcooking the burgers so they don’t come out tough and rubbery. They will continue to cook a bit after they are removed from the air fryer. When in doubt, use a meat thermometer.
- Parchment paper liners will help absorb the grease as the burgers cook making cleanup a breeze!
Other Tasty Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chicken Lettuce Wraps – tasty appetizer or dinner.
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – easy to make.
- Chicken Fajitas – a favorite.
- Chicken Pot Pie – use prepared pie crust for easy prep.
Air Fryer Ground Chicken Burgers
- Mix together onion, panko, barbecue sauce, garlic, oregano, salt, and peper.
- Crumble ground chicken and add to panko mixture. Gently mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts and shape into patties (1 inch high). Place patties on parchment (fit to the size of air fryer, sprayed with oil if desired). Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat air fryer to 370°F.
- Spray top of chicken patties with oil spray. Place in air fryer basket and cook for 16-18 minutes, or until chicken burger reaches 165°F on a digital thermometer.
- Serve on buns with tomato slices, lettuce, barbecue sauce, and mustard, or your favorite burger toppings.
½ cup grated onion
⅔ cup panko, or breadcrumbs
4 Tablespoons barbecue sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds ground chicken
olive oil spray
- Preheat air fryer before adding chicken burgers so the hot air can seal in all that juicy goodness!
- Do not overcook the burgers. They can become tough, dry and rubbery. Use a meat thermometer and remove burgers once the internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- Use parchment paper liners to make cleanup easy!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!