These super cheesy Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are perfect for Mexican night or any night!
This simple recipe has tender cooked chicken, onions, and green chilies, rolled up into soft flour tortillas, baked in cream of chicken soup, and topped with gooey cheddar cheese. It’s a fast and easy, tasty casserole that goes from the oven to the table in minutes. Enchiladas are perfect for those nights when the family is craving something different. Try serving it with a bottle of chipotle sauce on the table for those who like it hot.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Creamy Chicken Enchiladas recipe to your MAIN DISHES Board!
Best Chicken Enchiladas
- Perfect for leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken, or easy to pick up at the store! Cooked chicken and a can of soup take minutes off both prep and clean up!
- Buffet, party, and potluck perfect, creamy chicken enchiladas are easy to make, reheat, and serve on-site!
- Add a side of Mexican Street Corn (Elote), a colorful Black Bean Corn Salad, and some chips with a side of Cowboy Caviar! Don’t forget to serve with some avocado slices, salsa, and sour cream!
Ingredients & Variations
SAUCE: Creamy soup means this casserole will always comes out moist and flavorful. Sour cream and cream of chicken soup is the go-to, but cream of celery or cream of mushroom will do in a pinch.
MEAT: Precooked or leftover chicken is perfect in this recipe. Turkey, ground beef, or even a couple of cans of black beans for a vegetarian main dish will all work.
CHEESE: Cheddar cheese provides the sharp flavor that complements creamy enchiladas, but choose your cheese. Mozzarella or a Mexican blend will also make enchiladas delicious.
SEASONING: Chile powder gives just the right amount of heat to creamy chicken enchiladas, but here’s a DIY Fajita Seasoning blend that can be made and used for all kinds of southwestern recipes!
How to Make Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
It’s simple to put together this tasty Mexican inspired casserole:
- Whisk together cream of mushroom soup and sour cream until smooth.
- Sauté onion and chili powder in butter until the onion is tender (per recipe below).
- Remove from heat and mix in chopped chicken, green chilies, and 2 tablespoons of soup mixture.
- Gently scoop enchilada filling in the center of each flour tortilla and roll up. Place the enchiladas seam side down, close together.
- Evenly spread remaining sauce over enchiladas, cover with foil and bake until sauce is heated and thins out.
- Remove foil from casserole, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake until the cheese is browned and bubbly. Allow casserole to rest about 5 minutes before serving.
PRO TIP: Garnish with black sliced olives, diced tomatoes, or small diced avocado.
Tips for the Best Casserole
- Optional: Spread ½ cup of soup mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish before adding enchiladas (this keeps them from sticking to the bottom and makes them extra creamy).
- For best results, keep leftover creamy cheese enchiladas covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Other Easy Recipes!
- Chicken Pot Pie – simple prep, delish results!
- Chicken Fajitas – so full of flavor.
- Crack Chicken Casserole – dinner in just 45 minutes.
- Chicken Broccoli Bake – a favorite casserole.
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 10½ ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1½-2 cups chopped cooked chicken *
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies 1 small can
- 8-10 flour tortillas 6”
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease an 8x11" (good for 8) or 9x13" (perfect for 10) baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together soup and sour cream until combined.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add butter, onions, and chili powder and cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Remove from heat and stir in chicken, chilies, and 2 Tablespoons of the soup mixture.
- Evenly divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas*, about ¼ cup per tortilla.
- Fold one end of the tortilla over the mixture, and roll the tortilla closed. Place all enchiladas seam side down in the baking dish, close together.
- Pour remaining soup mixture over the enchiladas and cover with foil
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until sauce has started to warm and become thinner.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve with a green salad and a side of corn.
- Nutrition calculated on 4 servings
- *1½ cups chopped cooked chicken will fill 8 tortillas, 2 cups will fill 10 tortillas.
- Optional: spread ½ cup of soup mixture on the bottom of the baking dish before placing filled enchiladas in the dish.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe from Campbell’s