This homemade Fajita Seasoning recipe is just right!
Nothing beats the ooh’s and aah’s that come from everyone when the sizzling fajitas are carried out at the local Mexican restaurant, right? Now, it’s easy to make an uber savory, spicy, homemade fajita seasoning recipe with ingredients found right in the pantry. It’s super easy to make, and the spice mix can be used for just about any recipe imaginable. This fajita seasoning comes together in no time, so get ready to season all those Mexican inspired favorites!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Fajita Seasoning recipe to your SPICE MIXES Board!
Our Fave Fajita Seasoning!
- Who doesn’t love copycat and recipe hacks? This homemade fajita seasoning mix is not only great on beef, chicken, pork, or seafood, but it’s superb mixed into beans for a vegetarian take on fajitas!
- Chicken fajita seasoning can also be used as a rub for other meats and even tofu or spaghetti squash. Add it generously to sour cream for an extra easy dip for Air Fryer Pasta Chips or Air Fryer Roasted Cauliflower!
- It’s so easy to switch out the McCormick packets for homemade, and the difference is in the taste! Homemade is MSG-free and it’s easy to regulate the sodium level, too!
Can You Substitute Fajita Seasoning for Taco Seasoning?
The answer is yes! The main difference between the two seasonings is that fajita is heavier on the cumin while taco seasoning is heavier on the chili pepper. Either way, this unique spice blend from old Mexico will bring the fiesta to your kitchen every time!
What’s in Fajita Seasoning?
It’s amazing how a few seasonings and spices from the pantry can make such a versatile blend that can be used in so many ways!
CORNSTARCH – Cornstarch helps the seasoning stick to the meat when it’s added to a liquid. It also keeps the spices from clotting together during storage, so look for 100% cornstarch which is naturally gluten-free.
SPICES – Powders are ground spices that are finer granules and are easier used in recipes. Chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic, and onion powders make the base. Regulate the sugar and salt to dietary needs, and modify the level of heat from the cayenne to make a signature blend!
VARIATIONS – Mix up the blend and experiment with these flavors! Cocoa powder gives mole and enchilada sauce a traditional depth of flavor, while lemon or orange zest are perfect for adding to seafood recipes as well as dips and sauces. Try it on this Sheet Pan Shrimp Dinner or sprinkle over this popular Mexican Street Corn (Elote). Make a tangy southwestern dip like this Homemade Queso Dip for chips, veggies, or as a sauce for burritos and tacos!
How to Make Fajita Seasoning
This recipe is one and done:
- Simply add and shake all ingredients (as per recipe below) and store in an airtight container.
How to Use Fajita Seasoning
How to Store
For best results, keep fajita seasoning in a jar or container with a tightly fitting lid in a dark, dry space like a spice cupboard or pantry. If it doesn’t get used up first, fajita seasoning will last up to 1 year!
Other Homemade Seasonings To Try!
- Jerk Seasoning – smoky and sweet with a bit of heat.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe – delicious on almost everything.
- Pumpkin Spice – for fall dessert favorites.
- Homemade Taco Seasoning – 5 minute recipe.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container.
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper, to taste
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!