No need to wait in the drive-thru when you can make this Copycat Shamrock Shake recipe right at home!
Our copycat Shamrock Shake recipe tastes exactly like the fast-food version! Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day any time of the year with your own DIY version, plus, we have a few extra fun twists we know you’ll love (alcoholic shamrock shake, anyone)?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Copycat Shamrock Shake recipe to your BEVERAGES Board!
Why We Love this Recipe
Every year since 1970, McDonald’s rolls out its famously delicious, bright green Shamrock Shake, signalling the beginning of the celebration leading up to St. Patrick’s Day. But you don’t have to be Irish to make your own homemade shamrock shakes, with fresh and real ingredients, and for a lot less “green” from your wallet! How much is a Shamrock Shake made at home? Just a scoop of ice cream and some ingredients you probably already have in the refrigerator and pantry.
What Does a Shamrock Shake Taste Like?
Vanilla ice cream-based, but with a cool, minty flavor, Shamrock Shakes are distinct in their color and their flavor! Add a squirt of whipped cream and a cherry on top for a deliciously creamy treat that’s like no other. As a party-ready beverage, serve with some fun M & M Cookies!
Shamrock Shake Ingredients
Have blender, will shake!
DAIRY – The classic recipe starts with vanilla ice cream, cream (or milk), plus whipped cream with a maraschino cherry on top.
FOOD COLORING – But the real star of the shake here is the green food coloring! Make your shakes as light or bright as you like!
FLAVORING – Mint or peppermint extract gives Shamrock Shakes their distinctive creamy minty flavor!
- Make a mint-chocolate Shamrock shake by using chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla and/or add some chocolate syrup to the blender.
- Create a flurry Shamrock Shake by mixing in some add-ins like cookie pieces, broken up Twix bars, or chopped caramels.
- Make an Oreo Shamrock Shake by mixing crushed Oreo cookies into each cup and garnishing the whipped cream with extra crushed cookies.
- Not fond of Guinness beer on St. Patty’s Day? Make a grown-up boozy Shamrock Shake by stirring in a little bit (or a lot) of Bailey’s Irish Cream or rum. We bet that Irish eyes will definitely be a smilin’!
How to Make a Shamrock Shake
Copycat Shamrock Shakes are as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- In a blender (or bullet blender for individual servings), layer ice cream, cream (or milk), mint extract, and green food coloring.
- Blend until smooth and pour immediately into glasses.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. Serve immediately.
Tips and Tricks
- To really get that rich, creamy flavor, use full-fat ice cream and real cream instead of milk. Calories don’t count when you’re celebrating the luck o’ the Irish!
- Mint or peppermint extract can be used interchangeably, but real peppermint extract is preferred because mint extract is a blend of spearmint and peppermint and not as sweet.
- Make your own homemade no churn ice cream if desired!
Leftover Shamrock Shake can be made into a Shamrock Sundae!
- Make a base by whipping heavy cream until it is stiff and then fold in the leftover shake. Cover and freeze.
- Serve with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, a sprinkle of nuts, and a maraschino cherry!
Dessert Recipes To Try!
- Copycat Buster Bar Ice Cream Cake – so good!
- Banana Cream Pie – a family favorite.
- Pizookie Recipe – extra fun!
- Chocolate Rum Balls – decadent.
Copycat Shamrock Shake
- In a blender or bullet blender, add ice cream, cream, extract, and food coloring. Mix about 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Pour into glass and garnish as desired.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.