Make creamy cocktails extra tasty with a shot or two of this delightful Homemade Irish Cream recipe!
This amazing Irish cream recipe takes its cue from the classic Bailey’s liqueur in terms of its rich and creamy flavor only without the steep price!
Plus, there are variations for different twists! Homemade Irish Cream is ready in minutes using basic ingredients like cream, condensed milk, eggs, and a liberal dose of Irish Whiskey. It easily accommodates a variety of different flavoring extracts, such as coconut, hazelnut, almond, or coffee. And it makes the perfect hostess gift too!
What is Irish Cream?
Irish cream is a delightful liqueur that can be served hot or cold over ice, mixed into coffee or cocoa, or even topped onto vanilla ice cream or infused into a cake. It has a rich vanilla cream flavor, and hints of chocolate, and can be mixed and served with or without alcohol. It’s so versatile, you’ll find ways to use it all year long!
Festive & Flavorful!
- Just like homemade Grand Marnier, it only takes a few minutes to make homemade Irish cream, even Starbucks can’t do that!
- It’s a perfect drink to serve in pitchers for parties because guests can help themselves! Set out a small shaker of cinnamon or cocoa powder, orange twists, or cinnamon sticks for garnishing!
- This recipe only takes a few ingredients that are likely already on hand and offers substitutions as well. Perfect for drop-in guests or company! Or whip some up while brewing the coffee for weekend brunch with a decadent French toast casserole.
- Makes a great homemade gift! Pour Irish cream into cute mason jars or small bottles and tie with a ribbon and give some to friends, neighbors, and coworkers (remind them to refrigerate it)!
Ingredients and Variations
WHISKEY: Irish whiskey, rye, or any store brand of whiskey will work. Spiced rum, cognac, or Grand Marnier can also be used. To make a non-alcoholic Irish cream, use rum or whisky extract.
SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK: This gives homemade Irish cream its signature thickness and sweet flavor.
CREAM: Coffee creamer, regular cream, or half-and-half will work, use what’s on hand. Whole milk can be substituted for the cream for fewer calories, but the drink won’t be as thick and creamy.
MIX IT UP: Chocolate syrup can be replaced with sugar, cocoa, and vanilla extract (see recipe). Coconut extract adds a nutty flavor to this recipe, but it is optional. Other flavors to consider are hazelnut or peppermint extract, or try it with this fragrant pumpkin spice mix.
How to Make Irish Cream
Homemade Irish Cream is ready in minutes!
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (as per recipe below).
- Serve chilled over ice or any other serving options listed in the recipe.
How Long Does Irish Cream Last?
- Homemade Irish cream will last about two weeks in the fridge, simply give it a shake before using.
- Freeze Irish cream in ice cube trays and pop one or two into a smoothie, a cold cocktail, or a hot cup of coffee or cocoa.
Homemade Irish Cream
- In a blender, combine whiskey, cream, condensed milk, eggs, chocolate syrup, and coconut extract (if using). Blend until smooth.
- Serve chilled, over ice.
- *In place of chocolate syrup, can add 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons cocoa, and ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Hand mixer method: Beat eggs until frothy. Add whiskey, cream, condensed milk, chocolate syrup, and coconut extract if using, and mix until smooth.
Refrigerate for up to one month, stirring before using.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!