St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and if you want Irish eyes to be smiling, practice making an Irish Flag Shooter for all the partygoers!
Irish Flag Shots are tasty layers of Crème de Menthe, Irish Cream, and Grand Marnier, perfectly stacked in a shot glass showcasing the colors of the flag of Ireland. Friends are sure to love these fun, colorful and super tasty shots. What a great way to toast all things Irish, even if you aren’t!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Irish Flag Shooter recipe to your DRINKS Board!
Festive Irish Flag Shot!
- Even bartenders know that to make Irish Flag Shots, it’s all about the technique. All that is needed is a spoon and a clear glass (2 oz pony or shot glass) to showcase the layers of green, white, and orange. Pretty soon everyone will be toasting ‘Slainte’ (pronounced ‘slan-che’) which means health in Irish.
- This cocktail recipe uses ‘top shelf’ ingredients. Top quality liquor and liqueurs ensure a smooth and delicious drink. It doesn’t take much alcohol to make these delightful shooters!
What’s in an Irish Flag Shooter?
BOTTOM LAYER: Crème de Menthe has a bright, almost antiseptic minty flavor and is used in many cocktail recipes.
MIDDLE LAYER: Irish Cream is smooth with overtones of vanilla and chocolate and will smooth out the top and bottom flavors perfectly.
TOP LAYER: Grand Marnier has that heady, almost nutty flavor that makes it a good binder for other cocktail flavors. Make this pricey libation at home with this DIY Homemade Grand Marnier. Grand Marnier can be replaced by Jameson’s Irish Whiskey with the same colorful result, only just a ‘little’ more Irish!
VARIATIONS: Irish Flag Jello Shots – prepare lime-flavored green Jello as directed on package. Mix in Smirnoff vodka and pour into the bottom of shot glasses (or 4 oz plastic cups). When the Jello is set, add a layer of plain gelatin mixed with condensed milk with additional vodka (optional) and pour over the top of the green layers. Color the remaining white Jello (leftover from the middle layer) with orange food coloring. Mix well, pour over the top of the white layers. Chill until set and serve.
How to Make Irish Flag Shooters
Impress friends with these colorful and eye pleasing shooters!
- Pour crème de menthe into each glass.
- Slowly pour the Irish Cream over the cream de Menthe (as per the recipe below).
- Pour the Grand Marnier over the back of the spoon to top the Irish Cream.
Best Tips for the Bartender
Arrange shot glasses on a tray before making so the entire tray can go directly to the table or fridge to keep them from muddling.
If making layered drinks will be on the cocktail menu rotation, invest in some plastic or rubber bottle ‘pourers’ that professional bartenders use! Otherwise, use the back of the spoon to keep the layers separated (see recipe directions below). Make ahead and keep them on a tray for easy removal from the refrigerator! This also keeps the glasses chilled.
More Drink Recipes
- Boozy Shamrock Shake – another Irish hit.
- Cherry Margaritas – a perfect refresher.
- Strawberry Margarita Recipe – a drink for hot days.
- Rhubarb Liqueur – so different and tasty.
Irish Flag Shooter
- ½ ounce Creme de Menthe
- 1 ounce Irish Cream
- ½ ounce Grand Marnier
- Add the Creme de Menthe to the glass.
- Place a teaspoon or bar spoon upside down at an angle just above the surface of the Creme de Menthe. Very slowly pour the Irish Cream over the back of the spoon (to create a layer and doesn’t mix with the Creme de Menthe).
- Clean the spoon.
- Place the spoon just above the surface of the Irish Cream. Very slowly pour the Grand Marnier over the back of the spoon (to create a layer and doesn’t mix with the Irish Cream).
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe from Mantitlement