Savor the summery flavors of in-season rhubarb with this delightful rhubarb liqueur!
Rhubarb liqueur will jazz up any cocktail. Summer drinks will never be the same! Homemade rhubarb liqueur is refreshing with ice, soda, sparkling water, or a splash of prosecco!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Rhubarb Liqueur to your Drinks Board!
Whip up a batch of drinks for guests at a picnic, a barbecue, or a pool party! Rhubarb cocktails or martinis can be made with gin, bitters, or some chilled vodka. Add some crushed ice and your favorite garnish! Cheers! We like to use it in place of the liqueur in a batch of sangria!
What Does Rhubarb Liqueur Taste Like?
Rhubarb has a bright, tart taste and like lemons, it definitely needs some sweetener to tame the sour flavor. It’s almost a cross between a grapefruit and a strawberry.
Rhubarb liqueur cocktail recipes have a sweet tangy flavor that goes with all kinds of things. Try it combined with cherry, strawberry, melons, and grapefruit. Or, make slushies with frozen fruit and a dash of rhubarb liqueur — don’t forget the mint leaf garnish!
How to Make Homemade Liqueur
All that’s needed is a pot, water, sugar, and of course some rhubarb, fresh from the garden!
- Boil chopped rhubarb with sugar and water according to the recipe.
- Add part of the vodka, puree mixture using an immersion blender.
- Add remaining vodka and pour it into a mason jar. Allow it to chill for at least 24 hours.
How to Serve Rhubarb Liqueur
Like all liqueurs, rhubarb liqueur can be drizzled on top of vanilla ice cream or soaked into a bundt cake for a quick and easy dessert! Yummy!
Cocktail Recipes Using Rhubarb Liqueur
Rhubarb cocktails are easy and fun to make, not to mention completely original! Create a signature drink for a party. Start with frosted glasses from the freezer! I love using fancy glasses, or my favorite thrift shop finds! Here’s a shortlist of our faves!
- Rhubarb and Ginger Cocktail – top rhubarb with ginger ale and a squeeze of lime
- Strawberry Rhubarb Liqueur – muddle some strawberries, shake with the liqueur, and strain
- Rhubarb Prosecco Cocktail – easy as it sounds 😉
- Rhubarb Bramble Cocktail – lemon juice, simple syrup, and a dash of black raspberry liqueur make a delightful cocktail
Other Rhubarb Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Rhubarb Applesauce – easy and delish!
- Ginger Rhubarb Pie – an elegant and tasty pie
- Rhubarb Galette – easy as can be!
- Rhubarb Applesauce Muffins – a perfect breakfast recipe
- Rhubarb Bars – a family fave!
Rhubarb Cocktail Garnishes
- Pearl onions
- A sprig of rosemary or other herbs
For other kinds of cocktails:
- A slice of lemon perched on the rim of the glass
- Zested orange peel floating on the top makes a drink look fancy without a lot of work!
- 6-8 ounces rhubarb * sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups vodka ** divided
- In a small pot, bring rhubarb, sugar, and water to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and cooked through.
- Transfer to a jar, cover, and allow to rest at room temperature for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, strain using a fine sieve with a coffee filter or 3-4 layers of cheesecloth.
- Store in refrigerator for a few weeks.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Pin this Rhubarb Liqueur Recipe!
Recipe from The View From Great Island