This rhubarb applesauce muffin recipe is perfect for breakfast and brunch. The muffins great for school lunches and snacks too! The sweetness of the applesauce and the tartness of the rhubarb are a perfect combination!
This is probably my favorite rhubarb muffin recipe. It is the moistest rhubarb applesauce muffin recipe you will ever taste. Slather with some Honey Butter and enjoy a Mixed Berry Smoothie for a fabulous breakfast.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Rhubarb Applesauce Muffin recipe to your Breakfast Board!
How To Make Rhubarb Muffins with Applesauce
Here are the steps to making easy, classic and delectable rhubarb muffins with applesauce:
- In a bowl sift in all the dry ingredients (watch out so your 10 year old daughter doesn’t double the portion of cinnamon because she loves cinnamon). Mix in the rhubarb.
- In another bowl, thoroughly mix together the sugar, melted butter, eggs, and applesauce.
- Fold in the applesauce mixture into the dry ingredients. Don’t over mix or the muffins will be tough and not rise properly.
- Add batter to the muffins tins and bake.
Perfect, Easy Applesauce Muffins with Rhubarb
Our apple tree has been harvested as have stalks of rhubarb from our garden. The secret to making perfect rhubarb muffins is to use fresh ingredients. It’s best to make the rhubarb muffins from fresh picked rhubarb. If I can find them, I like to use more red stalks in my rhubarb muffins to add color to the muffins.
Another secret to perfect muffins is the mixing. It’s very important to not over mix the muffins. It’s always better to under mix than over mix or they will turn out to be rhubarb hockey pucks. I’ve estimated that you need to fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture about 15 times.
How To Make Applesauce From Scratch
The small apple tree in our yard produces many smaller apples, about half the size of a regular apple. They’re tart, much like a Macintosh apple. I recommend using Macintosh apples. The easiest way to make applesauce is to use an Instant Pot. Instant pot applesauce is simple and makes perfect applesauce every time. Another great twist for this recipe is to use rhubarb applesauce instead!
How To Prepare Rhubarb For Muffins
Rhubarb is similar to celery with a long stringy part of the stalk. Wash and dry the stalks. Using a knife, cut off the ends of the rhubarb and as you cut, peel back the long strings by pulling it back against the stalk. Turn the rhubarb around (flipping it), and do the same on the other side of the other end. Removing the stringy part of the rhubarb stalk will make the rhubarb more tender.
Finally, thinly slice the rhubarb. I like to make short of this project and use a mandoline to slice the rhubarb thinly so it gets cooked properly in the muffin mixture.
Can I Freeze Muffins To Eat Them Later
Yes, you can freeze muffins and eat them later. I love the rhubarb applesauce muffins right out of the oven with honey butter. They are so good, you probably won’t have any leftovers to freeze.
Leftover rhubarb muffins should be are cooled to room temperature. Place the muffins in an airtight container or a zip top bag and pop them in the freezer. Properly sealed containers can keep muffins in the freezer for about three months.
Defrost at room temperature, or wrap in a paper towel and microwave for about 30 seconds or until heated through.
What Kinds of Muffin Recipes Can I Make With Rhubarb
Here are some varieties of muffins with or without rhubarb or applesauce you could make with this rhubarb applesauce recipe:
- strawberry rhubarb muffins – add some pureed strawberries to the applesauce
- cinnamon rhubarb muffins – double up the cinnamon to give an extra boost
- banana applesauce muffins – replace 1/2 cup of the applesauce with one mashed banana. Leave the rhubarb in for a special dose of tartness!
- blueberry muffins with applesauce – replace the rhubarb with blueberries and add the zest of 1/2 lemon to the batter (although blueberry and rhubarb tastes delicious together!)
Rhubarb Applesauce Muffin Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 ½ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- cinnamon sugar equal parts for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Butter (or spray) muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Toss in rhubarb.
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar and melted butter together. Add applesauce and eggs and mix until well combined.
- Add applesauce mixture to the flour mixture, folding until just mixed (about 15 times). Do not overmix or you will have tough muffins.
- Evenly divide between 18 muffin tins (approximately ⅔ full). Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until baked and golden.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this Rhubarb Applesauce Muffin recipe!
Adapted from High Altitude Rhubarb