Sourdough peach muffins fresh from the oven are light and delectable! And that aroma—oh my!
These fresh peach muffins are perfect for breakfast or brunch! Tinged with the tangy flavor of sourdough and dotted with fresh peaches, quick and easy peach muffins make a great snack, too!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Sourdough Peach Muffins Recipe to your Breakfast Board!
What We Love About This Recipe
Sourdough discard muffins are a super easy and clever way to use up extra sourdough starter. They provide a slightly tart flavor baked into fluffy, moist muffins. Even better, sourdough muffin recipes can be adjusted to mix in a variety of yummy ingredients (rhubarb and blueberry to name a couple!)!
Sourdough starter discard muffins can be a new recipe every time! This peach bran muffin recipe is perfect to make ahead, then grab and go.
GRAINS The basic recipe for sourdough starter muffins uses a scoop of sourdough discard, flour, and bran.
LEAVEN & SPICES Oil, egg, leavening, plus cinnamon and ginger help make the texture and flavor outstanding.
SWEETENER & FRUIT But the real key to sourdough peach muffins is the addition of sweet peaches (fresh or canned and drained) and a dash of maple syrup.
- One of the best things about sourdough bran muffins is that the fruit mix-in can be nearly anything! For fruits, we like apple, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, cranberry, blackberry, banana, or raisins! Pumpkin, zucchini, corn, carrot are excellent vegetables.
- Don’t forget the oatmeal, chocolate chips, or nuts. For more healthy peach muffins with a little more fiber, sub half the white flour with whole wheat flour.
How to Make Sourdough Muffins
We promise you will absolutely love this sourdough peach muffin recipe! Not only do they taste great but they are so easy to make!
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients together separately.
- Gently fold in the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Divide muffin batter equally into muffin tins. I use a large cookie scoop to make it easy! Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Tips and Tricks
Peach sourdough muffins come out perfect when you follow a few simple tips!
- Dice the peaches into small pieces to make the best muffins.
- Avoid overmixing the batter so that the air stays in the batter and the muffins get their maximum rise and stay fluffy!
- For a super easy streusel topping for peach bran muffins:
- In a small bowl, add 2 Tablespoons of butter, ⅓ cup of flour, 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice!).
- Mix the ingredients together with the back of a fork or a pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle onto the tops of the muffins before baking.
Baking Times for Mini Muffins to Jumbo Muffins
Our peach bran muffin recipe can be made into three different sizes, too! Great for a picnic or a potluck!
- For mini muffins, bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- For regular muffins, bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- For jumbo muffins, bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Always check muffins earlier in the baking time so that they are not overbaked. To test for doneness, insert a wooden pick in the center of a muffin. It should come out clean or with baked crumbs on it.
Storing and Freezing
- Peach sourdough muffins are very moist and will keep at room temperature for about 3 days in a covered container. Store them with a slice of bread to absorb any extra moisture.
- This peach muffin recipe is perfect for freezing! Simply put cooled muffins into zip top bags and label with the date and they’ll last a couple of months!
- Or, individually wrap each muffin with plastic wrap and freeze. Pop one out in the morning and it will be thawed and ready to eat at lunch!
Peach Sourdough Muffins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bran
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger optional
- 1 cup sourdough starter 227 grams, or fed
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 ½ cups diced peaches smaller pieces make for better muffins
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease muffin tin (or line with cupcake liners).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, bran, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and ginger if using.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sourdough starter, milk, egg, oil, and maple syrup.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Carefully fold in peaches.
- Divide batter evenly in the muffin tin using a cookie scoop.
- Add muffin tin to the oven and reduce the temperature to 400°F. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and remove to a cooling rack.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this Sourdough Peach Muffin Recipe!
Adapted from King Arthur sourdough muffins