Sourdough rhubarb muffins are bright and flavorful and with the subtle sweetness of rhubarb—plus they are ready to grab and go!
I love recipes using sourdough starter! I’m always thinking about what to make with sourdough starter. We’ve been baking up a storm! Our sourdough discard recipes include basics like sourdough blueberry muffins and crumpets, and fun things like sourdough chocolate chip cookie bars and light and airy waffles!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Sourdough Rhubarb Muffins Recipe to your Breakfast Board!
Here at Our Zesty Life, homemade sourdough muffins are not only the start to a great day, but they are also great for a snack! Muffins are portable nutrition! Sourdough starter muffins are easier to make than you think, and they deliver a tangy flavor and a sweetly subtle fruit component!
Sourdough Starter Muffins
Our sourdough muffins recipe produces light, fluffy, muffins with a spongy interior that’s perfect for soaking up butter or jam. Like our honey cornbread muffins or double chocolate banana muffins, these rhubarb sourdough breakfast muffins will be a family favorite for years to come! Make a batch or two and enjoy them all week long! Don’t forget to slather them with simple honey butter!
Ingredients or Variations
BASE: Healthy ingredients like whole wheat—and of course sourdough starter— are the base of these muffins. Fermenting food is where it’s at these days! Many people find sourdough starter easier to digest than regular wheat, plus nutrients are more bio-available! And the sourdough discard is what gives the muffins that wonderful flavor!
FLAVORINGS: Savory seasonings like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger make these sourdough muffins as memorable as they are tasty!
FRUITS: Why not try some sweet variations like blueberry, banana, apple, cranberry, or savory versions like pumpkin, zucchini, or even corn!
OTHER TASTY ADDITIONS: Even a handful of chocolate chips, walnuts, or raisins can be added for a new twist on this basic recipe! Anything is possible with these muffins!
How to Make Rhubarb Sourdough Muffins
Anything made with sourdough discard is going to be easy to pull together with amazing results!
- Combine the dry ingredients together and add rhubarb, coating thoroughly.
- Mix wet ingredients and gently fold them into the dry ingredients until just blended. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Divide batter evenly into 18 prepared muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
How Long to Bake Different Sized Muffins
- Bake regular sized muffins for 20 minutes.
- Bake mini-muffins for 16 minutes.
- Bake jumbo-sized muffins for 24 minutes.
- For a sourdough loaf, pour batter into a greased 9”x9”x4” loaf pan and bake about 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack.
Tips and Storage Recommendations
- Coating the rhubarb with flour keeps it from both discoloring the batter and dropping to the bottom before it goes into the oven.
- Over mixing eliminates the air pockets that are needed for the right kind of rise and texture for the muffins.
- For countertop storage, keep muffins stored in an airtight container or a zippered bag along with a slice of bread. The bread keeps the muffins from getting too moist or moldy before their time!
- Muffins, like quick breads, are super easy to freeze! For individual portions, wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and place them in a zippered bag in the freezer. Write the date on the outside of the bag. They should keep their flavor for up to 2 months.
- To freeze all the muffins at once, place on a sheet pan first and then once frozen, place them in a labeled zippered bag.
Sourdough Rhubarb Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups rhubarb diced
- 2 cups sourdough starter discard
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
- Combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Add rhubarb to toss in flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sourdough starter, oil, sugars, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Fold in flour and rhubarb mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide muffin batter evenly between 18 muffins (about ⅔ full) using a large cookie scoop. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin. Carefully remove and cool on a cooling rack or serve warm.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this Sourdough Rhubarb Muffins Recipe!