These tasty banana and chocolate chip muffins are the perfect portable answer to a busy morning or a healthy after-school snack.
When we set out to find the perfect banana chocolate chip muffin recipe, we knew it had to be amazing from start to finish. It had to have the best ever texture; moist and light, with rich, cocoa flavor—and chock full of bananas! Chocolate and bananas are the perfect flavor combination, and they’re healthy, too!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe to your Breakfast Board!
Easy Chocolate Banana Muffins
What we especially love about this banana chocolate muffin recipe is that it is super easy and portable. Crazy busy morning? Pair a chocolate banana muffin with a blueberry banana smoothie, or a strawberry mango smoothie. For a larger brunch serve them alongside a jalapeno popper quiche or breakfast bake!
Pop one or two in a backpack, lunchbox, or briefcase, and enjoy a nutrition-filled snack that doesn’t come from a vending machine! Big game? Why not make a batch of double chocolate banana muffins in mini-muffin tins for the whole team to enjoy!
Ingredients and Variations
The basic formula can be switched up a little bit. Feel free to use coconut oil or another favorite but mild-tasting oil in place of the vegetable oil if preferred. Applesauce can be mixed with the bananas for a sweet boost without granulated sugar.
How to Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Banana Chocolate Muffins come together so easily and turn out great every time!
- Assemble ingredients and prepare muffin tins with paper liners or pan release. (We have made them both ways and prefer without paper liners.)
- Beat the wet ingredients together until fully mixed.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips, berries, nuts, or other add-ins at this stage.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool about 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Add-ins for Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
Here is a list of our very favorite add-ins that will make your muffins memorable every time!
Nuts: walnuts, pecans, sliced almonds, or toasted coconut flakes.
Seeds: Sunflower, pumpkin, chia, or hemp seeds.
Berries: fresh or frozen berries like blueberries, raspberries, chopped strawberries, dried cranberries, or raisins.
Flour: whole wheat, spelt, tapioca, coconut, or almond.
Natural sweeteners: Extra bananas, applesauce, pureed dates, honey, stevia.
Other fun additions: Pureed pumpkin, oatmeal, grated zucchini, peanut butter, Nutella, yogurt.
How to Bake Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Once the batter is just barely mixed and optional add-ins are included, banana and dark chocolate muffins can be baked as minis, regular-sized (like this recipe), and jumbo-sized. Use a wooden pick to test for doneness in the center of a muffin.
- For mini muffins: Bake 12-14 minutes.
- For regular-sized muffins: Bake 15-17 minutes.
- For jumbo-sized muffins: Bake 18-22 minutes.
How to Store Banana Chocolate Muffins
Muffins will keep best if they are kept at room temperature and in a tightly sealed container or zippered bag. They should keep up to 4 days.
PRO TIP: To keep condensation out, store a slice of bread along with the muffins. The bread will absorb some of the moisture and keep those muffins fresh!
Chocolate banana muffins can be frozen too! Wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and store in a zippered bag with the date written on the outside. When a muffin is needed, just pull one out and let it thaw or pop it in the microwave until it’s heated through!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed banana 2-3 bananas
- 3 Tablespoons buttermilk or 3 Tablespoons yogurt, or ½ teaspoon lemon juice mixed with 2 Tablespoons plus 2 ½ teaspoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, oil, banana, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined. Do not overmix or muffins will be tough. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using cookie scoop, divide batter evenly between 12 muffins and bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, remove from muffin tin and cool on a rack.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Pin this Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe!
Recipe from Flavorful Eats