Nothing beats a hearty, homemade Texas-style Chili With Stew Meat.
Now you can make your own award-winning signature beef chili recipe made with browned chunks of beef, a variety of beans, and some savory seasonings. A big pot of this zesty and savory chili is just the thing for game day or any day of the week!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chili With Stew Meat recipe to your DINNER Board!
Why We Love This Recipe
We love recipes that come together quickly and can be cooked in different ways! Short on time? Make chili in the instant pot. Plenty of time? Cook chile con carne low and slow in the Crockpot. Use a tougher cut like beef chuck and let it slow cook until the meat is super tender and flavorful! A huge pot of chili with beef stew meat is not only great for dinner, but it’s even better for lunch the next day. Add some to a baked potato or scooped onto a hot dog! Chili dogs for game day? Yes, please!
Ingredients and Variations
MEAT Chili tastes amazing with stewing beef. No need to buy pricey steak! The best cuts of beef for chili are the tougher cuts that become tender in the slow cooker. Chunky beef pieces become tender and juicy when they’re slow-cooked in a tomato-based sauce.
BEANS Canned beans are a huge timesaver, but feel free to use any variety or combination of beans you like. Be sure to drain them well before stirring them into the pot.
CHILI SEASONING Our signature recipe blend works wonders in this tasty chili. For a spicier chili, just add more chili powder and paprika!
Making Chili with Stew Meat
This recipe makes the best chili ever, and it’s so easy to pull together!
- Coat the meat with the peppered flour mixture.
- Cook the meat in batches with onions according to recipe instructions.
- Add tomatoes, drained beans, tomato paste, seasonings.
- Simmer or slow cook until beef is juicy and tender. Adjust seasonings and serve with favorite toppings.
Toppings and Mix-Ins!
Every chili recipe with stew meat has to have an assortment of toppings and mix-ins! Here’s a list of our faves. Stew beef chili is a delicious way to feed a crowd, and let them customize their own serving!
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Black Olives
- Green Chiles
- French’s Fried Onions
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
What to Serve with Beef Chili
Make some fun appetizers like these smoked deviled eggs and then serve with honey cornbread muffins or jalapeno popper muffins and some honey butter for spreading. A side of creamy coleslaw, and some peanut butter chocolate chip bars to satisfy that sweet tooth! Chili and beer are a perfect flavor match, so crack a cold one and dig in!
Tips and Tricks
- Cut the meat into uniform sizes so it cooks at the same rate.
- Drain and rinse the beans to wash off the sodium that the beans are packed in.
- Chili with stew meat can be cooked in the Crockpot on low for 8 hours, or in the Instant Pot under the “stew” setting. (Just brown the beef before adding the other ingredients.)
Storing and Reheating
- Keep chili with stew meat in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator and it will keep for about 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Freeze cooled chili in a zip top bag or Stasher bag with the date labeled on the outside and it will last about 4 to 6 months, so it’s a great recipe for making ahead and thawing anytime a quick dinner is needed!
Other Recipes To Try!
- Smoked Beef Ribs – so flavorful!
- Beef Rouladen Recipe – simple and delicious.
- Smoked Beef Brisket Recipe – easy to make.
- Simple Beef Stroganoff – a classic recipe.
- Sous Vide Roast– cooked to perfection.
Chili with Stew Meat
- 2 pounds stewing beef
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced or diced
- 84 ounces canned tomatoes whole or diced, or a combination, 3 large cans
- 15.5-19 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained, 1 can
- 15.5-19 ounces mixed beans rinsed and drained, 1 can
- 6 ounces tomato paste 1 small can
- chili seasoning as below, or chili seasoning packet (about 1.25 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Trim meat and cut into bite sized pieces. Add to a large zip top bag or bowl and toss with the flour and pepper until the meat is coated.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil on medium to medium high heat. Add half the beef, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove from the dutch oven and set aside. Add onions and other half of the beef, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Return all browned beef to pot. Add 1 can of tomatoes and stir, scraping the bottom. Add kidney beans, mixed beans, tomato paste, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer the chili for 1 ½ hours. Check meat for tenderness. Continue to cook for another ½ hour, or until meat reaches desired tenderness.
- Serve with shredded cheese, bread or toast, and your favorite chili toppings.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.