Simple and tasty, a homemade Beef Stroganoff with sour cream, onions, and mushrooms is the perfect recipe for an easy meal that won’t take long to pull together! Simple Beef Stroganoff seasoning is flavorful, with beef soup base, garlic, onion soup mix, and black pepper… it has all the best things to enhance the flavor of Beef Stroganoff with egg noodles.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Simple Beef Stroganoff recipe to your Dinner Board!
Creating a creamy and delicious simple Beef Stroganoff sauce is quick, and you won’t have a hard time finding any of the ingredients for it. Wonderful classic recipes like Instant Pot Pasta with Sausage or Hamburger Pasta Medley have always made our lives easier and our families happy! There’s nothing like sitting down to a simple and delicious “comfort food classic” like this one!
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
You’ll love how in just a few steps, a steaming hot meal will be on the table (or ready for busy family members on the go to help themselves too!).
- Slice the beef against the grain.
- Cook the egg noodles, al dente style, and drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, mix sauce ingredients in a separate bowl according to recipe directions below.
- Saute half the meat, add the mushrooms, and cook, add the rest of the meat and the seasonings. Continue cooking.
- Add the sauce, bring to a boil, add the peas. When the peas are hot and everything is cooked through and bubbly, serve the Beef Stroganoff over noodles on individual plates, or just mix the drained noodles right in and serve it as a tasty one pot meal
Tasty, Time Saving Tip: For cheater beef stroganoff – use premade onion dip instead of the sour cream and onion soup mix. When I did, hubby said, “It was the best stroganoff you’ve ever made!”
And I make GREAT stroganoff!
What is Beef Stroganoff, Where is Beef Stroganoff From?
Beef Stroganoff originated in Russia, but in its travels, the dish has undergone quite a few variations from the original. The basics, however, seem to stay the same, it’s essentially sliced beef in a sauce, served with smetana, or sour cream with a high fat content. Why is it called “Stroganoff” or “Stroganov?” It’s named after the Russian Count Stroganov, whose chef invented the dish… and apparently gave all the creds to his boss!
Best Meat for Beef Stroganoff
Obviously, the more expensive meat you use, the better any dish will taste, but feel free to use any leftover cooked beef you have on hand, or even ground beef. That said, for excellent flavor, I suggest boneless beef sirloin or rib eye. Beef Stroganoff can taste amazing when you use good ingredients, and this recipe is not the typical ground beef and mushroom soup variety!
How to Thicken Beef Stroganoff
- Method one – make a slurry and add it to the sauce if it isn’t thick enough. A slurry is basically a runny flour or cornstarch paste, made by very slowly adding water or broth from the main pot to flour or cornstarch and whisking it in so lumps don’t form. You can add slurry to lots of things like soups, stews, or… Stroganoff.
- Method two – let the Beef Stroganoff cook, bubbling slightly, until the moisture has evaporated from the sauce. This method is known as “reducing” and takes longer.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff?
Beef Stroganoff is so delicious and it can definitely use some veggies to cut the starchiness! Try serving it with Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, some brussel sprouts, green beans or Creamy Coleslaw. Some Honey Cornbread Muffins would definitely go over with the meal in my house, as would an easy No Knead Bread.
Top it all off with a piece of Pumpkin Pie Crunch or Buster Bar Ice Cream Cake, and you can count on everyone being satisfied!
Can you Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
You can safely freeze Beef Stroganoff. Just spoon it into an airtight container, leaving a couple of inches space for expansion. I like to use Stasher Bags because you can take them from freezer to boiling water or microwave and you have a quick healthy meal. Keep it for up to three months before reheating.
If the meat is cooked before freezing, you could even try mixing the ingredients together without cooking the sauce, for a delicious make ahead meal, that could be cooked in a skillet or in a casserole dish with bread crumb topping!
Beef Stroganoff is a favorite dish any time of the year, and this recipe tops them all. Enjoy!
Other Recipes To Try!
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff – ready in just 30 minutes!
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – set it and forget it recipe.
- Beef Rouladen Recipe – delicious and different!
- Corned Beef and Cabbage on Stovetop – incredible flavor
Simple Beef Stroganoff
- 12-16 ounces boneless beef sirloin steak or ribeye steak (cooked or uncooked)
- 6 ounces dry egg noodles or other pasta
- 8 ounces sour cream 1 tub
- 2 ½ Tablespoons onion soup mix ½ packet
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered (or cut in 6 if large), I use cremini
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups frozen peas optional
- If using cooked beef, slice thin against the grain. If using uncooked beef, freeze for 30 minutes for easy slicing (if time allows). Slice against the grain in thin slices.
- In a medium pot, boil water for egg noodles. Once boiling, cook egg noodles per package directions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sour cream, onion soup mix (or pre-made onion dip in place of sour cream and soup mix), and flour in a small bowl. Add water and beef base, stir and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. If using uncooked beef, add half of beef to skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove.
- Add mushrooms to skillet (and remaining uncooked beef if applicable) and cook for 5 minutes or until almost cooked.
- Add all beef, garlic powder and pepper to skillet and cook for one minute before adding onion soup mixture to the skillet. Bring to a boil, and add peas (if using). Cook for 2-3 minutes until thickens and peas are hot.
- Add cooked egg noodles to skillet and stir. Ready to serve!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Simple Beef Stroganoff recipe!
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
My Family Loved it. I am definitely sharing Guys, Thanks For sharing this Great Recipe. this recipe and this website with my friend. Hope they also love it. Thank you again for sharing such a great recipe.
So glad to hear that your family loves this stroganoff!