Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is comfort food at it’s best!
It’s hearty & savory, with quick and easy prep! Family recipes like this one that have been handed down from another generation, are simply unforgettable. A good one pot meal just like Grandma’s is always welcome in the kitchen, and it doesn’t have to be hard to make! Nowadays, homemade beef stroganoff is super easy to prepare right in the Instant Pot. This satisfying recipe comes out just as creamy and savory as if it was slow-cooked for hours on the stovetop. It’s flavorful and loaded with satisfying ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe to your MAIN DISH Board!
Best Beef Stroganoff
- The Instant Pot can cut cooking time in half, and this recipe comes together quick. It can be ready in 20 minutes flat!
- Stroganoff is a quick and easy entrée for large families or last-minute get-togethers.
- Instant Pot cooking makes for minimal cleanup and easy transport from one place to another. Keep it warm for easy serving.
Ingredients and Variations
MEAT: Beef Stroganoff has specific ingredients that make it a signature dish: slices of beef, onions, & mushrooms are cooked in a savory sauce made with beef broth and sour cream. But ground hamburger beef can be used, as well as leftover meat like steak or stew meat, shredded turkey, or even chicken.
VEGETABLES: Serve over a medley of vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, sweet potatoes, broccoli, or cauliflower. Even frozen vegetables can be added to the Instant Pot before cooking.
NOODLES: Wide egg noodles are sturdy enough to hold the sauce, but penne can be used. Cauliflower rice can be used in place of pasta to make a gluten-free, low carb, or keto entrée. Just take care that all the ingredients used meet the requirements of the diet.
SAUCE: Beef broth, sour cream, onion soup mix, and a handful of seasonings help create this savory sauce. All it takes is a little flour to thicken it up.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Prepare the beef. Sauté onion in butter & olive oil.
- Add mushrooms & beef (if it is uncooked). Cook until browned. Add water, onion soup mix, beef base, garlic powder, & black pepper. Stir well.
- Add cooked beef (if using), egg noodles, & beef broth.
- Cook (per recipe below). Open the Instant Pot and stir. Mix in sour cream. Garnish with chopped parsley and parmesan cheese
Tips & Tricks
- Pre-packaged beef stroganoff seasoning mix can be used as well a couple of cans of Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup if time is short.
- Heavy whipping cream will make the sauce extra creamy and adding a little parmesan cheese will make the flavor so savory.
- Try serving it with a crisp and crunchy Kale Salad, or a Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette. Add some thick slices of No Knead Bread for soaking up all the delicious sauce!
Storing & Reheating
For best results, keep beef stroganoff in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop. Freeze beef stroganoff in a zippered bag once it’s fully cooled. Label the date on the outside and it will last for about 8 weeks in the freezer. NOTE: Pasta will not be as firm once it thaws out and the sauce will need some extra cream added before it’s reheated. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Instant Pot Entrees
- Italian Chicken and Noodles – quick & easy weeknight meal!
- Instant Pot Pasta With Sausage– one pot pasta dish-
- Corned Beef and Cabbage – tender and flavorful.
- Instant Pot Ribs – quick cooking time!
- Kung Pao Chicken Recipe – instant pot or stove top!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound beef fresh or leftover (12-24 ounces of beef will work)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered
- ½ cup water
- 2 ½ Tablespoons onion soup mix or add 1 tablespoon beef base, 2 teaspoons dried onions, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces dry egg noodles
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- If using cooked beef, slice thin against the grain. If using uncooked beef, freeze for 30 minutes for easy slicing (if time allows). Slice against the grain in thin slices.
- Preheat Instant Pot on Saute. Once hot, add olive oil, butter, and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until onion starts softening.
- Add mushrooms to Instant Pot, and if using uncooked beef, add to the Instant Pot. Cook 4-6 minutes, until well browned. (You may want to do the beef in batches for a larger amount of beef.)
- To Instant Pot, add water, scraping the bottom to deglaze. Add onion soup mix, flour, beef base, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir until well combined.
- If using cooked beef, add to Instant Pot, along with egg noodles and beef broth. Make sure noodles are covered.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual, High for 5 minutes (assumes egg noodles have a 10 minute cook time. For 8-9 minute cook time for the noodles, set Instant Pot for 4 minutes.).
- Once complete, natural release for 5 minutes, then release pressure. Open Instant Pot, and carefully stir until well combined. Gently stir in sour cream and serve.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe!