Make this super easy Instant Pot corned beef and cabbage recipe for a delicious Irish inspired meal perfect for St. Patrick’s day, or any day!
Make long cook times a thing of the past with this corned beef and cabbage Instant Pot recipe! Savory, juicy, and cooked to delicious and tender perfection, the entire holiday meal can be made in one pot in less than half the time! It will be ready just in time to join the toast with a glass of green beer!
Best Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- The Instant Pot pressure cooks corned beef thoroughly so it turns out perfect every time.
- With this Instant Pot recipe for corned beef cabbage and potatoes, everything cooks in just one pot – even the carrots and cabbage!
- And there is no need to stagger cook times for the meat and veggies, or monitor a slow cooker. The Instant Pot takes all the guess work out.
- When the cook time is reduced, there’s more time to make some fun sides like Irish champ, and some sourdough Irish soda bread to soak up all those delicious juices!
Ingredients and Variations
Corned Beef – The best Instant Pot corned beef dinner will always consist of the traditional corned beef, of course. Corned beef can be cured at home, but most prefer to purchase it at the market. It’s usually vacuum sealed and packaged in brine in the meat section. Instant Pot corned beef brisket can be made with or without the pickling spices, it’s a matter of preference!
Vegetables – Cabbage, and an assortment of veggies including carrots and potatoes are simmered to tender perfection and help create a delicious juice that’s worth waiting all year for St. Patrick’s Day!
Beer – And talking about that juice? It’s helped along with beer, preferably a rich and tangy Guinness, but exceptions can be made!
Keto Version – Corned beef and cabbage is an excellent keto-approved entrée, just eliminate the carrots and potatoes, or serve it without them.
How to Cook Corned Beef in an Instant Pot
This corned beef and cabbage Instant Pot recipe is the easiest way to prepare a 4 or 5 lb corned beef.
- Add the juice from the corned beef to the Instant Pot. Add beer (or broth), garlic, and onion. Rub beef with spice packet, or pickling spices. Place on trivet in the Instant Pot.
- High-pressure cook according to recipe below. Remove beef and cover.
- Add vegetables to the broth and cook according to recipe instructions. Remove vegetables.
- Make the slurry, thicken the broth, slice corned beef against the grain. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Tips and Tricks
- Use the low pressure in the Instant Pot to cook corned beef as an alternate method, but be aware this will increase cook time.
- Select vegetables that are similar in size so they cook at the same rate. Be sure they are clean and free of blemishes or bruises.
- If using homemade brine and pickling spices, brine the beef up to 5 days and then cook in the Instant Pot with additional pickling spices
- A tablespoon of brown sugar can be added to the sauce for a sweet contrast to the tart and briny flavor of the corned beef.
- Corned beef will actually taste better the next day! Serve it up with eggs as corned beef hash, or make homemade sandwiches with cold, sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, and some deli mustard! Yum!
- To store, refrigerate the veggies and the beef in separate containers for up to 4 days. Reheat portions in the microwave or use the leftover sauce and warm in a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Freeze cooled and sliced corned beef up to 2 months in a labeled, zippered bag.
Other Instant Pot Meals!
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 14-16 ounces beer *, dark preferred (Guinness) (1 can), or broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3-4 pound corned beef brisket with spice packet (or if no spice packet, add 1 Tablespoon pickling spices)
- ½ cup broth
- 1 cabbage cut into 6-8 pieces
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 3 carrot cut in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoon cornstarch optional (to thicken)
- Add any juices from the beef, beer, onion, and garlic to the bottom of a 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Rub the corned beef with the spice mixture (or pickling spice) and place on the trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot to high pressure and cook for 90 minutes. Once time is up, allow natural release for 15 minutes, then manually release pressure. Remove corned beef, and place on a cutting board or serving tray. Loosely tent with foil to rest while preparing vegetables.
- Leave about 1-1 ½ cups liquid in the Instant Pot. Place trivet in the bottom. Add broth, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set to high pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
- Quick-release pressure, and remove vegetables to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. To thicken the sauce, turn Instant Pot to saute. Mix cornstarch with equal parts water. While stirring the sauce, mix in the slurry until sauce thickens.
- Slice cooked corned beef against the grain, and serve with vegetables and sauce.
- *A dark beer, such as Guinness, may give a slightly more bitter flavor.
- Nutritional information does not include optional gravy
- Add a tablespoon of brown sugar to the sauce for a sweet contrast to the tart and briny flavor of the corned beef.
- Refrigerate the veggies and the beef in separate containers for up to 4 days. Freeze cooled and sliced corned beef for up to 2 months in a labeled zippered bag or container.
- Reheat portions in the microwave, on the stovetop or quickly in the Instant Pot!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe!