St. Patty’s day has never been luckier with this super easy Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe!
Make long cooking times a thing of the past and still have a deliciously tender, flavorful, traditional St. Patrick’s Day dinner. It will be ready just in time to join the toast with a glass of green beer!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage recipe to your DINNER Board!
The Best Corned Beef in the Instant Pot
Savory, juicy, and cooked to perfection, now your entire holiday meal can be made in one pot in less than half the time! No more tough spots or still frozen spots, the Instant Pot pressure cooks corned beef thoroughly so it turns out perfect every time. No need to stagger cook times for the meat and veggies or monitor a slow cooker, you’ll have the luck o’ the Irish with our corned beef Instant Pot recipe!
Why We Love Corned Beef and Cabbage in the Instant Pot
Like so many meats that are only cooked on certain holidays, the Instant Pot takes the guesswork out of wondering if it’s cooked right. What we love with this Instant Pot recipe for corned beef cabbage and potatoes is that everything is cooked in one pot—even the carrots and cabbage! And since cook time is reduced, there’s more time to make some fun sides like Irish Champ, and some Sourdough Irish Soda Bread for soaking up all those delicious juices!
Ingredients and Variations
CORNED BEEF – The best Instant Pot corned beef dinner will always consist of the traditional corned beef, of course. Corned beef can be cured at home, but most prefer to purchase it at the market. It’s usually vacuum sealed and packaged in brine in the meat section. Instant Pot corned beef brisket can be made with or without the pickling spices that makes corned beef, it’s a matter of preference!
VEGETABLES – Cabbage, and an assortment of veggies including carrots and potatoes are simmered to tender perfection and help create a delicious juice that’s worth waiting all year for St. Patrick’s Day!
BEER – And talking about that juice? It’s helped along with beer, preferably a rich and tangy Guinness, but exceptions can be made!
KETO VERSION – Corned beef and cabbage is an excellent keto-approved entrée, just eliminate the carrots and potatoes, or serve it without them.
How to Cook Corned Beef in an Instant Pot
We’ve found this corned beef Instant Pot recipe to be the easiest way to prepare a 4 or 5 lb corned beef.
- Add juices from the corned beef to bottom of Instant Pot. Add beer (or broth), garlic, and onion. Rub beef with spice packet, or pickling spices of your choice. Place on trivet in the Instant Pot.
- High-pressure cook according to recipe below. Remove beef and cover.
- Add vegetables to the broth and cook according to recipe instructions.
- Make the slurry and thicken the broth. PRO TIP: A tablespoon of brown sugar can be added to the sauce for a sweet contrast to the tart and briny flavor of the corned beef.
- Slice corned beef against the grain and serve with vegetables and sauce.
Tips and Tricks
- NOTE: Some recipes prefer cooking corned beef on low pressure in the Instant Pot. Either method will do, but we prefer this one for its time-saving benefits!
- Select vegetables that are of the same size so they will cook at the same rate and be sure they are clean and free of any blemishes or bruising.
- If using your own brine and pickling spices, brine the beef up to 5 days and then cook in the Instant Pot with additional pickling spices
Leftovers – How Long Does Corned Beef Last?
- Corned beef tastes better the next day! Serve it up with eggs as corned beef hash, or make homemade sandwiches with cold, sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, and some deli mustard! Yum!
- Store the veggies without beef in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the leftover sauce on the stovetop. Freeze cooled and sliced corned beef up to 2 months in a labeled, zippered bag.
Other Easy Recipes To Try!
- Beef Brisket Recipe – smoked recipe.
- Smoked Beef Ribs – so tender and tasty.
- Beef Rouladen Recipe – different and delicious.
- Sous Vide Prime Rib Roast – cooked to perfection.
- Homemade Meatloaf – a classic dinner.
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 14-16 ounces beer *, dark preferred (Guinness) (1 can), or broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3-4 pound corned beef brisket with spice packet (or if no spice packet, add 1 Tablespoon pickling spices)
- ½ cup broth
- 1 cabbage cut into 6-8 pieces
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 3 carrots cut in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoon cornstarch optional (to thicken)
- Add any juices from the beef, beer, onion, and garlic to the bottom of a 6QT Instant Pot.
- Rub the corned beef with the spice mixture (or pickling spice) and place on the trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot to high pressure and cook for 90 minutes. Once time is up, allow natural release for 15 minutes, then manually release pressure. Remove corned beef, and place on a cutting board or serving tray. Loosely tent with foil to rest while preparing vegetables.
- Leave about 1-1 ½ cups liquid in the Instant Pot. Place trivet in the bottom. Add broth, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set to high pressure and cook for 5 minutes.
- Quick-release pressure, and remove vegetables to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. To thicken the sauce, turn Instant Pot to saute. Mix cornstarch with equal parts water. While stirring the sauce, mix in the slurry until sauce thickens.
- Slice cooked corned beef against the grain, and serve with vegetables and sauce.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.