These mini jalapeno cornbread muffins have a surprise cream cheese filling that is extra tasty!
Mini cornbread muffins make the perfect side dish beside a hot bowl of soup or chili. They are tasty and fun little appetizers, and best of all, they are ready in just minutes using Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix!
Make them in mini muffin tins for bite-sized snacks. The creamy filling quiets the heat of the jalapeno peppers, and makes these corn muffins extra moist and creamy that they don’t even need any butter! Try them with cheddar or crumbled bacon added in!
Mini Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins!
- Just a few ingredients and a little bake time, jalapeno cornbread muffins are moist and fluffy with a melty cream cheese center that balances out the spicy jalapeno pepper perfectly – but feel free to adjust the spicy flavors as needed.
- These hearty little muffins are delicious as a side with a favorite soup, stew, or chili. They also make a great snack with a smear of honey butter.
- Double or triple the batch and use them all week long and freeze some for later!
- Serve these tasty muffins with ribs and coleslaw. And they are especially good with Mexican lasagna, tomato corn chowder or even just a simple kale quinoa salad.
- Give these tasty morsels a try for brunch with a delightful Jalapeno Popper Quiche. So delish!
Ingredients and Variations
JIFFY CORNBREAD MIX: This perennially popular quick Corn Muffin Mix is not only versatile but affordable and easy to find. But, just in case, here’s a Jiffy copycat recipe that will do the trick.
CHEESE: Cheddar has a sharp, bold flavor but shredded mozzarella or a Mexican cheese blend will work great, too! The finer the shred, the better it will melt onto the top, creating a nice surface for the sliced jalapeno (optional) to bake in. The cream cheese can be omitted to save a few calories, but they’re better with it!
TOPPINGS: Try these pickled jalapenos, or use sliced black olives instead. Bacon bits can be added to the batter or sprinkled on top. Add sliced green onions or sprinkle a few red pepper flakes over the cheese for a pop of color, too!
How to Make Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
Just follow these easy steps!
- Dice the jalapeno. Use a chopper to make this super simple! I love that it makes perfectly small diced pieces, without much handling of the jalapeno, in no time flat. If you haven’t used it before, you definitely should! I have the Vidalia Chopper.
- Mix the diced jalapeno into Jiffy batter.
- Use a cookie scoop to evenly fill 20 mini muffin tins.
- Push a small cube of cream cheese into the center of the batter of each muffin and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Garnish as desired and bake until tops are golden brown.
Tips & Tricks
For the best, fluffiest muffins, avoid overmixing the batter so that it stays airy and light. Allow the batter to rest for a few minutes after mixing.
Use eggs and cream cheese that have come to room temperature so they will mix and melt better.
Storing Cornbread Muffins
- Keep jalapeno cornbread muffins in a plastic airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days.
- They can also be put in a zip-top bag or Stasher bag and frozen for later, so why not double up the batch!
Let's Get Baking!
Love baking with Jiffy? Give these recipes a try! Add your favorite Jiffy corn muffin mix add ins!
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- 8.5 ounces Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 1 box
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese cut into 20 cubes
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease mini muffin tin (I use butter).
- Mix dry corn muffin mix and diced jalapeno together. Add egg and milk and stir until just combined. Allow to sit for 3 minutes.
- Using 1 ½ Tablespoon cookie scoop, fill mini muffin tin (20 mini muffins).
- Push small cube of cream cheese into each muffin. Sprinkle each muffin with cheddar cheese. Top with jalapeno slice (if desired).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until tops are golden brown. Cool in muffin tin for 3 minutes and carefully remove.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
How would you make them regular size.
To make 6 regular sized muffins, bake for 16-20 minutes, or for 9 muffins, bake for 16-18 minutes. Bake until tops are golden brown!
Wonder how they would be with some added bacon bits or sausage
That’d be SO good Pamela! A great idea. I’ll need to try that myself!
These little mini muffins are awesome! I didn’t have jalapeño peppers so I used Hungarian wax hot peppers. Will definitely be making these again!
So glad you loved the muffins Anna! Great substitution!
That looks so good. Can’t wait to try. We love all the ingredients, so it’s bound to be great.
We love these and I hope you do too Barbara!
Oh my…what a wonderful combo of flavor. Just took these out of my oven–so beautifully golden! One muffin is not enough–had to use self-control not to eat the whole tray. I would like to use a full size muffin tin next time.
Thank you so much! I’m so happy to hear that you loved these as much as we do!!
I LIVE IN THE UK AND WE CANNOT BUY THE CORN MIX SO CAN I USE ORDINARY CORN?
This recipe uses corn muffin mix and it cannot be replaced with ordinary corn, unfortunately. You may be able to order it on Amazon to be delivered to you in the UK. I’ll be making a corn muffin mix substitute and will let you know once I have it up!
These look SO delicious! I am going to serve them alongside some chili, if they last until it is ready!
That was my first thought…..these and big hot bowls of chili! YUM!!!
Yes Jan, I agree!!