No need to buy store-bought when you can make the best homemade hamburger buns right at home!
These hamburger buns are light and fluffy like the small Hawaiian buns you see at the market, and they’re made with wholesome ingredients.
And if you’re watching your calories, just alter the size of the burger to fit into your dietary plan. Make bread machine hamburger buns for a BBQ, a party, or even to freeze ahead for whenever burgers or sliders are on the menu!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Homemade Hamburger Buns Recipe to your Breads Board!
Types of Hamburger Buns
This recipe for homemade hamburger buns can be so versatile for any kind of meal! Modify according to personal preferences. These burger buns are soft yet hold up well to a juicy burger. There are sure some great choices for delish burger buns!
- Brioche buns are eggy and dense, perfect for burgers with dressing. They are a little smaller, perfect for kids, or people watching their caloric intake!
- Kaiser rolls are great burger buns because they are lighter and a little more fluffy than average burger buns. They usually have a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top for looks.
- Ciabatta rolls are usually square and very dense. Perfect for presentation and burgers that have multiple toppings or add-ins!
- Potato buns use a little potato flour in addition to the whole wheat flour and makes for a dense, almost spongy bun. These are great for thick and juicy burgers!
Make mini-buns for sliders, or use whole wheat for a healthy twist. Baking hamburger buns at home is super easy!
How to Make Hamburger Buns from Scratch
The ingredients are super simple! All you have to do is shape the rolls, allow them to rise, then pop them in the oven!
- Place recipe ingredients into a bread machine (or bowl if using mixer or hand kneading).
- Follow bread machine instructions (or mix and thoroughly knead by hand).
- Gently remove dough and form into balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel and let rise.
- Reshape balls of bread dough to remove air and replace. Spray with lukewarm water and allow to rise again (per recipe below).
- Brush rolls with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven!
How to Toast Hamburger Buns
Hamburger buns are the best when they are toasted! Here’re a few tips to get a perfectly toasted bun every time.
- On the grill: Brush cut side of buns with oil or butter and place cut sides down on grill until toasted and browned.
- Under the broiler: Place oven rack at top of the oven. Heat broiler, place the cut side of buns on a baking sheet. Broil close to the heat source until browned.
- Set the timer for a minute and check so they don’t burn! (Don’t forget about them!)
Once toasted, take a raw clove of garlic and rub it on the toasted part for a little extra flavor!
Storing Homemade Hamburger Buns
Once buns are fully cooled, they can be kept at room temperature in a zippered bag, Stasher Bag, or airtight container. They should last on the countertop for about four days.
Because the ingredients don’t include chemical preservatives, homemade hamburger buns should be used fairly quickly.
However, hamburger buns can be refrigerated or even frozen! Just put them in a Stasher Bag or zippered bag labeled with the date and pop them in the freezer. When ready to use, allow to thaw at room temperature.
Homemade Hamburger Buns
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 Tablespoon water
- To the bread pan, with the mixing blade in, add water, egg, flour, salt, sugar, butter, dry milk, and yeast. *See Notes for mixing with mixer or by hand
- With bread pan installed, close lid and choose “Knead and First Rise” or similar option on your breadmaker. This cycle takes 1 hour and 40 minutes for my machine. *See Notes for mixing with mixer or by hand
- Once the dough is ready, remove from bread maker (or bowl) and gently knead 4-5 times.
- Divide into 12 pieces and roll into balls. Place on parchment lined baking tray. Cover with a damp (clean) tea towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes. Reroll and flatten slightly, placing about half an inch apart on the parchment.
- Spray lightly with water and allow to rise about 45-60 minutes, or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat together egg and water. Brush top with egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds if using. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Pin this Hamburger Bun Recipe here!