Copycat Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is super easy to make right in your own kitchen!
Nothing smells better than a batch of homemade cornbread or corn muffins coming from the oven! Now, you can have a homemade DIY corn muffin mix that rivals the top store brands! Why buy the store-bought brands like Gold Medal, Martha White’s, Krusteaz, or Trader Joe’s, or even the classic Jiffy brand when you can make your own for pennies on the dollar? One box size of Jiffy cornbread mix equals 1½ cups of our cornbread muffin mix recipe, so the savings are real and the quality is store-bought superb!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Copycat Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix to your DIY Board!
Why We Love This Recipe
What is Jiffy corn muffin mix? The Jiffy brand has been around since 1930 as the first pre-prepared cornbread mix, even before cake mixes were created. Jiffy bakes up sweet, moist, and absolutely ready to add to banana corn muffins served with some honey butter. And, nothing is better on a chilly morning than a fresh batch of honey cornbread muffins. We’re sure these will be your “go-to” muffins all-year-round!
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Ingredients
FLOUR & CORNMEAL – The dry box mixes of corn muffin mix have basic ingredients like flour, cornmeal, and sugar.
LEAVENING AGENT – Add leavening agent like baking powder and salt. Just add oil, or milk, and an egg. Our corn muffin mix substitute is nearly identical but creates less packaging waste, and you can double up the batch to use in other recipes!
Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Add-Ins
It’s easy to doctor up homemade Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix! We like to add pickled jalapenos, olives, sliced green onions, chopped broccoli or diced bell peppers, corn, cooked sausage or bacon bits, cheddar cheese, even berries, and honey for a sweet, dessert-like cornbread version! Don’t forget a savory muffin like jalapeno corn muffins to go with to go with a hearty Instant Pot stuffed pepper soup on a chilly day!
Can I use Corn Muffin Mix instead of Cornmeal?
Both are relatively interchangeable except corn muffin mix has added sugar and an extra leavening agent. If you are using corn muffin mix in a breading, batter, or pizza mix in place of cornmeal, the recipe will turn out sweeter and fluffier!
How to Make Corn Muffin Mix
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add oil and mix until there are no lumps (a food processor works great for this step)! Store in a mason jar or zippered bag.
How to Bake the Best Corn Muffins Using Copycat Jiffy Mix
- Generously grease muffin tins. PRO TIP: Butter tastes best! Or, use paper muffin tin liners.
- Whisk muffin mix, egg, and milk in a bowl. Mix well and allow the batter to rest, about 3 minutes (aerating the batter by letting it rest makes the muffins fluffier).
- Stir the batter twice and then divide evenly between the 6 muffin tins.
- Bake muffins for 14 to 18 minutes or until they are golden brown. Let them cool for about 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tins so they have a chance to firm up.
Corn Muffin Mix Recipes
Try this homemade copycat cornbread mix in some of our favorite recipes like:
Cornbread also makes a delicious topping for meaty casseroles like a taco pie or a turkey pot pie.
Tips and Tricks
- Using hot water instead of room temp water will help the oil soften into the mix easier, however, avoid overly hot water so the eggs don’t accidentally cook!
- To make cornbread and muffins more moist, add ¼ cup of sour cream (at room temperature) to the batter.
- Grease muffin tins well or use paper liners.
- PRO TIP: To save time, it’s okay to add the oil into the dry mix for muffins, the results will be the same. For other recipes, add the oil to the dry mixture.
- Save cornbread mix in air-tight containers or zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside in a cool space like the pantry and it will keep for about one year.
- Cooked cornbread or muffins will keep at room temperature for about 5 days as long as they are in an air-tight container.
- Individual pieces of cornbread or corn muffins can be wrapped separately in plastic wrap and saved for up to 8 weeks. Let them thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
Recipes To Serve With Cornbread Muffins
- Chili With Stew Meat – delicious with cornbread muffins!
- Tortellini Soup – so savory and easy.
- Homemade Meatloaf – a classic dinner
- Split Pea and Ham Soup – extra flavorful!
Copycat Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
To Make Muffin Mix
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add oil, and mix until combined thoroughly, and there are no lumps. Store in a mason jar or zip top bag.
To Make Cornbread Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease muffin tin (I use butter).
- Mix together muffin mix, egg, and milk until well combined.
- Allow batter to rest about 3 minutes. Stir a couple times, then divide evenly between 6 wells in the muffin tin (I use a 3 Tablespoon cookie scoop).
- Bake 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!