Our easy Tortellini Soup recipe is hot and hearty!
Delicious tortellini soup has plenty of Italian style seasonings and lots of robust flavors! It’s the perfect entrée for busy weeknights because it has all the full flavored, slow cooker taste but takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish! This is a recipe you must try!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this easy Tortellini Soup recipe to your SOUPS Board!
Why We Love This Soup
This is the best beef tortellini soup, just perfect for add-ins, leftovers, and all-around kitchen creativity! With a little recipe tweaking, both meat lovers and vegetarians alike can savor every bite! Serve with honey cornbread muffins with honey butter, and a tangy side salad to round out the meal!
My kids LOVE this meal every time we make it. Leftovers (if you have any!) are also perfect for lunches, both hot in an insulated container or Thermos, and even cold!
Ingredients and Variations
BROTH Beef broth and a large can of tomatoes make up the base for this rich and savory soup.
PROTEIN Use leftover beef or make creamy sausage tortellini soup with Italian sausage, a splash of cream, and lots of cheesy parmesan on the top! Make a chicken tortellini soup with a ready-made or leftover rotisserie chicken, or toss in some frozen meatballs with the tortellini.
VEGETABLES For a Tuscan tomato basil version, add spinach and a handful of mushrooms! Meatless Monday? Cook up a veggie version with kale, potatoes, and cheese tortellini.
PASTA Use your favorite tortellini, whether meat based, spinach, or cheese!
How to Make Tortellini Soup
Beef tortellini soup goes from the stovetop to the table in minutes but tastes like it’s been in the Crockpot all day!
- If using fresh sausage, brown in the bottom of a stockpot. Add tomatoes, broth, water, pepper, and Italian dressing mix, garlic slices, and dried onion.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Add leftover beef (if using).
- Bring back to a boil and cook tortellini according to package directions. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips for “souper” results every time!
- Use the entire can of tomatoes, including the juice to enhance the flavor.
- No Italian dressing seasoning? Make your own with our easy recipe. It’s perfect to have on hand for making Italian salad dressing, and even a quick meal of Instant Pot Italian Chicken and Noodles!
- No need to pre-cook or thaw the tortellini, just toss it in the pot with the meat.
- To really decrease cook time (and most importantly your time at the stove!), add all of the ingredients at once to an Instant Pot, seal, and cook for 8 minutes. Let the Instant Pot naturally release, stir and serve.
Store and Reheat
It’s true that soup is better the next day! Keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Freeze soup in zip top bags and write the date on the outside and lay the bags flat on the bottom of the freezer. Once the bags are frozen, stack them upright (like books) to save freezer space!
PRO TIP: Enjoy eating the tortellini from the soup before freezing. Then just add fresh tortellini when it’s time to thaw and reheat. This way the freezing process doesn’t ruin the pasta!
Other Soup Recipes To Try!
- Creamy Tomato Soup – full of flavor.
- Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe – a favorite soup!
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup – easy to make.
- Vegetable Soup – delicious low calorie soup!
- ½ -1 cup leftover roast meat or sausage, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Italian dressing mix or Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning or Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic slices or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 pound tortellini fresh
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- If using sausage, brown sausage in the bottom of a dutch oven or large pot.
- Add diced tomatoes, beef broth, water, pepper, Italian dressing mix, garlic and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add leftover roast beef if using.
- Bring to a boil, add tortellini and cook for 7 minutes (or per package directions). Sprinkle with pepper and serve!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!