For upcoming chilly days when a one-pot meal can be made that everyone loves, try this easy and delicious Vegetable Soup recipe!
Chock full of fiber-friendly, healthy veggies, this delicious low carlorie vegetable soup recipe is easy to make and tastes even better the next day. Colorful, flavorful and one of the best ways to use up leftovers, it’s perfect as a starter soup for dinner, or as a quick weekday lunch. What could be better than a steaming hot bowl of hearty veggie soup!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Vegetable Soup recipe to your SOUPS Board!
Savory Vegetable Soup
- Low in calories, but big on color, texture, and flavor, homemade veggie soup can be made with fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables or a mix of all three.
- Also called ‘weight loss soup’ vegetable soup has appeared in many women’s magazines over the years for its easy, economical preparation, versatility, and great flavor.
- Slow cook this soup this healthy soup and let everyone serve themselves straight from the pot, the Instant Pot, or the crockpot.
What’s in Veggie Soup?
VEGGIES: The more, the better! Large fiber-filled portions of cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower are combined with tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and then a handful of savory herbs like thyme, basil, and oregano. For a heartier soup, add potatoes, squash, brussels sprouts, or kale or spinach. Toss in a few roasted poblano peppers or Anaheim chiles for a spicy soup.
BEANS OR PASTA: Add more bang to the pot with a can or two of tasty legumes. Kidney beans, black beans, garbanzo beans, or cannellini beans add texture to the pot. Or, and some egg noodles, elbow macaroni, or barley or rice.
PROTEIN: Veggie soup is a great way to use up leftover meat like chicken, ground beef, sliced summer sausage, even frozen mini meatballs!
How to Make Vegetable Soup
- Sauté onion in a pot until softened. Add cabbage, carrots, and green beans.
- Add remaining ingredients except broccoli and cauliflower. Simmer.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower, simmer until tender and serve.
Instant Pot: Set Instant pot to sauté and cook the onion. Add cabbage, carrots, and green beans and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Seal lid and set to high. Cook for 15 minutes and let naturally release. Stir and serve.
Crock-Pot: Sauté onion in a skillet until softened. Add cabbage, carrots, and green beans. Cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a crockpot and add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour. Stir and serve.
What to Serve With
Vegetable soup tastes great with some tangy parmesan cheese grated over the top as a garnish. Serve with a tangy Greek Salad or a Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette. Try some Honey Cornbread Muffins or some Mini Jalapeno Popper Corn Muffins.
Tips & Tricks
If using canned vegetables, drain and rinse them (except for the tomatoes). Frozen veggies don’t need to be thawed before adding to the pot.
Thicken soup by pureeing some of the veggies in a small blender and adding them back to the soup.
Freeze chilled soup in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside. Frozen soup will last about 6 weeks in the refrigerator.
Other Easy Soup Recipes To Try!
- Chicken Taco Soup – ready in under 30 minutes!
- Hamburger Soup Recipe – hearty and delicious.
- Tortellini Soup – quick 10 minute prep!
- Creamy Tomato Soup – so smooth.
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups cabbage chopped, approximately ¼ head of cabbage
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 cup green beans cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 bell pepper chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes low sodium (undrained), 1 large can
- 6 cups beef broth low sodium
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups zucchini sliced
- In a large pot, over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly softened, but not browned.
- Add cabbage, carrots,and green beans and cook 5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, thyme, basil, oregano, and pepper and stir to combine. Once soup reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and zucchini and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Vegetable Soup recipe
Recipe from Spend With Pennies
So wonderfully hearty and healthy.