This tasty Chicken Taco Soup is a hearty family favorite!
It’s an easy, healthy recipe that’s not only simple to make but absolutely delish. This great crowd-pleasing dish is made in one pot on the stovetop, or easily prepared in a Crockpot. You can even make it low carb it you’d like!
It can be served with all kinds of toppings and mix-ins! Crush up tortilla chips on top with a dollop of sour cream and salsa, or go for extra melted cheese. This hearty soup can be served as a main dish at supper time, or as a satisfying hot lunch.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chicken Taco Soup recipe to your SOUPS Board!
Savory Taco Soup
- Taco soup is a dieter’s dream! Counting Weight Watchers points, or following low-carb or keto? It’s a great entrée for those watching their fats and calories! For a zero-carb soup, omit the corn and beans and increase the spinach—or add another low-carb veggie.
- Add this to the dinner rotation! Cook up this hearty soup in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot and it’s ready to serve!
- The main ingredients come from a can and everything else is quick and easy to add, but that doesn’t detract from the homemade goodness of this recipe.
Ingredients and Variations
PROTEIN: Cooked chicken gives this dish a lighter texture, but cooked ground beef (even frozen meatballs!), turkey, or slices of spicy Italian sausage are delicious in this soup. Don’t forget tofu, it makes a great non-meat protein!
BROTH: Chicken broth and a whole can of undrained tomatoes form the base of this soup. Heavy whipping cream produces a creamy texture. Seasonings and herbs like cumin, taco seasoning, and cilantro add depth of flavor. Omit the meat and use garden broth for a vegetarian and vegan soup!
ADD-INS: The basic mix-ins for this recipe are beans, corn, and spinach. But anything that goes in a taco can go into chicken taco soup! Add a frozen bag of vegetable medley, diced potatoes, chopped green chiles, or chunks of zucchini and sweet potato. The options are endless!
TOPPINGS & SIDES: Just like tacos, chicken taco soup is better with toppings! Here are some favorites to place in bowls around the crockpot or Instant Pot so everyone can help themselves:
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
Simple to make with just three basic steps, this is one soup that’s sure to become a family favorite!
- Sauté onion about 5 minutes, add seasonings.
- Add tomatos, beans, corn, and broth. Boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add chicken & spinach, cook (per recipe below) until soup is heated through.
In the Instant Pot:
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and cook the onion.
- Add seasonings and scrape the bottom of the pot as it cooks.
- Add remaining ingredients, seal, and cook for 20 minutes on high.
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Stir and serve.
In the Crock-Pot:
- Sauté onion about 5 minutes in a small skillet.
- Add seasonings and remaining ingredients.
- Cover, and cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour. (If chicken is not precooked, be sure to cook it through in a skillet before adding to the Crockpot.)
For best results, keep chicken taco soup in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove. Freeze cooled soup in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside and place in the freezer up to 6 weeks.
Favorite Soup Recipes
- Hamburger Soup Recipe – perfect for leftovers!
- Tortellini Soup – full of flavor.
- Creamy Tomato Soup – favorite comfort food!
- Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe – hot and hearty dish.
- Vegetable Soup – delicious low calorie soup.
Chicken Taco Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 ½ -2 teaspoons cumin
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can
- 18 ounces mixed beans 1 can, drained and rinsed (or black beans, or your favorite beans)
- 11 ½ ounces corn 1 can
- 2-4 cups chicken broth * as desired
- 1 ½-2 cups diced chicken or other cooked meat
- 2 cups spinach optional
- sour cream optional for garnish
- cilantro optional for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper to taste, optional
- In a large pot, add olive oil and onion on medium low heat. Cook until onion is partly cooked, about 5 minutes. Add taco seasoning and cumin, and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, and broth. Turn heat to medium high. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and spinach if using, and cook for additional 5-10 minutes.
- If desired, serve with sour cream and cilantro and sprinkle with pepper.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.