Everyone loves this super easy, super cheesy Broccoli Chicken Divan casserole!
This fresh and healthy recipe is a weeknight winner and a potluck crowd-pleaser. This classic dish has been a family favorite for decades and it’s easy to see why. Whether it’s served up with favorite mix ins or toppings like French fried onions or enjoyed according to the exact recipe instructions, Chicken Divan is always divine! And since it’s one of those entrees that “always turns out” there is no need to worry about whether or not guests will enjoy it.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Broccoli Chicken Divan recipe to your ENTRÉES Board!
What is Broccoli Chicken Divan?
- Divan (pronounced “dee-von”) is characterized by a creamy cheese sauce mixed with chicken and broccoli, named for a hotel in NYC. It’s an elegant dish that’s easy to make!
Why We Love It
- Quick and easy, broccoli chicken divan can be ready in less than 30 minutes using pre-cooked or leftover chicken!
- Cook this economical entrée for bigger families! Just add a salad like Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette and some No Knead Bread for dipping into the sauce!
- Make it low carb by using crushed pork rinds instead of Panko breadcrumbs. Or simply go without the breadcrumb topping altogether and top with extra cheese.
- Make it vegetarian by replacing the meat by layering in white or long-grain brown rice, egg noodles, or penne pasta.
- Tastes better the next day and is a great lunchtime meal for school or work!
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Chicken breasts are lower in calories than beef, turkey, or pork, but those proteins can be used instead if desired. And even cooked smoked salmon works well. This is a great recipe for using up leftover meat and veggies!
BROCCOLI: Fresh broccoli gives this dish a burst of colorful crunch! Cauliflower can be used, and some sliced mushrooms and slices of bell peppers add texture and flavor! Frozen broccoli can be used, or even a bag of mixed vegetable medley.
SAUCE: Cream of mushroom soup makes a great base for the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and milk. Canned soup is a real timesaver! Don’t forget the sour cream. Cream of chicken or cream of broccoli soup can be used, too! For an Indian-style casserole stir in a jar of prepared yellow or red curry sauce.
How to Make Broccoli Chicken Divan
The steps for prepping this savory casserole are so simple. Serve it over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes, if desired.
- Prep chicken & saute until cooked through. (If using cooked chicken, cut it into evenly sized chunks.)
- Blanche broccoli pieces until tender. Drain & place in casserole dish.
- Mix 1 cup of cheddar cheese with sauce ingredients. Fold in chicken & pour over the top of the broccoli. Sprinkle with remainder of cheddar.
- Prepare breadcrumb topping & cover the casserole. Bake (per recipe below).
In a Crock Pot or Slow Cooker:
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and sauté until cooked through. If using cooked chicken, cut it into small pieces.
- Blanche broccoli pieces in boiling water until tender. Drain and put on the bottom of a Crock Pot.
- Mix 1 cup of cheddar cheese, soup, sour cream, and seasonings. Fold in chicken and pour over the top of the broccoli. Sprinkle on cheese.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours (long enough to heat through.
- Prepare breadcrumb topping and cover the casserole. Cook another 30 minutes.
For best results, store leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days. Reheat portions in the microwave. Freeze cooled portions in quart-sized zipper bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat as desired.
Other Delicious Chicken Recipes!
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole– dinner in under 1 hour!
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi Recipe – hearty and delicious.
- Creamy Lemon Chicken – full of zesty lemon flavor.
- Roasted Chicken and Vegetables – easy one pan dinner!
- Crack Chicken Casserole – chicken, tater tots and creamy ranch sauce!
Broccoli Chicken Divan
- 4 chicken breasts about 2 pounds (or 3 cups cooked chicken), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil if using raw chicken breasts
- 1 ½-2 pounds broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 10 ½ ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 can (or cream of chicken soup)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard, and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons Panko bread crumbs or buttery crackers (like Ritz crackers)
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish (or a 3 quart casserole dish).
- If using raw chicken breasts, in a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high. Add the chicken pieces and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place broccoli in a large pot boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes or just until tender crisp. Drain well and put in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1 cup cheddar cheese, soup, sour cream, milk, and seasonings.Stir in chicken and spread on top of broccoli in baking or casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned and the mixture is bubbly and hot.
- Serve over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes, as desired.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.