The classic easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe has been upgraded to a quicker and easier version, but still remains just as creamy and delicious.
This recipe could not be more simple! Using pre-made ingredients like frozen mixed vegetables, refrigerated or frozen pie crust, and cooked chicken, the prep time for this recipe is minimal. Simply assemble, bake and serve. The creamy filling is loaded with delicious flavors and textures, while the pie crust is so flaky and buttery. It really is the best chicken pot pie recipe, and perfect to make ahead for busy weeknights or even a special Sunday night dinner.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe to your ENTREES Board!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Homemade chicken pot pie is a savory meal that can be served for lunch, dinner, or even expanded into a crowd-pleasing casserole.
- Take advantage of pre-made crusts that come in disposable pie tins for easy transport and cleanup. Cooked chicken and a bag of mixed vegetables means less prep, too. This really is the easiest recipe to make.
- Make mini chicken pot pies by cooking them in individual crocks or ramekins with a circle of puff pastry on the top.
Ingredients and Variations
CRUST: Ready-made refrigerated or frozen pie crusts are best for this recipe, however, rolled out refrigerated or homemade Bisquick biscuits will work, too!
VEGETABLES: A frozen vegetable medley is perfect for homemade chicken pot pies. But for fresh, use a combination of diced carrots and celery, peas, corn, and sliced mushrooms.
MEAT: Cooked chicken is a lifesaver in the kitchen. Leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken, makes this recipe come together fast. Add diced ham or bacon bits for an extra bit of meaty flavor.
BASE: What’s a pot pie without its creamy, savory base? This one uses a ‘roux’ made from flour and broth. But a can of cream of chicken, celery, or mushroom soup will do the trick.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
- Saute celery and onion.
- Add flour and optional seasoning.
- Slowly add broth. Add thawed vegetables and chicken.
- Add mixture to prepared pie crust. Place the other pie crust on top, seal the edges and vent.
- Bake (as per the recipe below).
What Goes with Chicken Pot Pie?
Since chicken pot pie is already loaded with meat and veggies, a simple Kale Quinoa Salad or a Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette will round out the meal.
Don’t forget to add some thick, toasted No Knead Bread, and finish with an equally comforting dessert like a Blueberry Crisp or some Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.
Keep leftover chicken pot pie in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat portions covered with foil in the oven, or simply heat in the microwave. Freeze portions in labeled, airtight containers up to 4 weeks.
NOTE: Frozen chicken pot pie crust may not be as light and flaky as it was when first baked, but will be just as delicious! Reheat on a lower rack in the oven to help crisp up the bottom crust.
Other Easy Chicken Casseroles!
- Crack Chicken Casserole – prepped in just 15 minutes.
- Broccoli Chicken Divan – creamy and delicious.
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – a twist on a classic recipe.
- Chicken Broccoli Bake – dinner in under an hour.
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – a favorite.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 double pie crust (prepared)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning optional
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Remove pie shell from freezer if frozen. If refrigerated, add bottom crust to pie tin.
- Defrost frozen vegetables by running under hot water and drain.
- In a large skillet on medium-low heat, add butter, celery, and onion and cook for 4 minutes, or until onion is translucent (but not browned).
- Add flour, poultry seasoning if using, and whisk (or stir) while cooking for one minute. Turn to medium (or medium high) and slowly add chicken broth while whisking (or stirring). Cook for about 4 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in defrosted frozen vegetables, chicken, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken mixture to the crust in the pie tin, and top with second crust. Gently place the edge of the top crust behind the bottom crust. Press edges together to seal. Add slits to the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown and bubbling*.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftover chicken pot pie up to 4 days.
- Reheat portions covered with foil in the oven, or simply heat in the microwave.
- Freeze portions in labeled containers for up to 4 weeks.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe!
Adapted slightly from 365 Ways to Cook Chicken, page 11