Air Fryer Chicken Breast comes out perfect, and it’s so easy to make!
The air fryer can make an ordinary fried recipe into a low-fat recipe or even a keto lover’s dream! It takes far less time than using the oven or the bbq. The Nuwave or Ninja air fryer can cook food in less time, using less power, and all without sacrificing flavor! This recipe for air fryer chicken breast never disappoints, and is so simple to make with just four simple ingredients. What’s not to love?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipe to your MAIN DISH Board!
Best Air Fried Chicken Breasts
This air fryer chicken breast recipe makes lightly seasoned chicken breasts come out tender, moist, and perfect every time! For skin-on breasts, the skin comes out crispy and juicy! Skinless breasts come out lightly golden on top. Air-fried chicken breasts are great for meal prepping to use all week long! Shred them to add to salads and sandwiches or add chunks of chicken to soups and casseroles.
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN BREASTS: Fresh breasts will cook faster, but frozen breasts can be used as well. Add 8 to 10 minutes onto the cooking time if cooking from frozen. Bone-in or boneless chicken thighs can be used as well, reduce the time to 4 to 6 minutes before flipping.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Oil and season chicken breasts. Thin them out if necessary by pounding them gently with a meat mallet.
- Cook chicken in the air fryer flipping once (per recipe below).
- Continue cooking until a meat thermometer reads 165°F.
NOTE: If chicken is 150-155°F when you check it, it cooks quickly and takes only a minute or two to reach 165°F. Be careful not to overcook.
For Frozen Chicken Breasts:
- Use the same method as above to prepare, but expect to extend the cook time about 5 minutes longer. Check with a thermometer to ensure you do not overcook the meat.
For Breaded Chicken Breasts:
- Pat chicken dry.
- Whisk an egg and dip the chicken in the egg wash.
- Dip chicken in seasoned breadcrumbs on both sides and air fry for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
For Stuffed Chicken Breasts:
- Slice ¾ of the way through each breast and stuff with cream cheese mixed with bacon bits, spinach, and parmesan cheese. (Or, use this tasty Spinach Dip recipe.)
- Air fry for 28 minutes, flipping after 14.
Tips & Tricks
- Air fryers work by circulating hot air around the food, essentially cooking it from the outside in. This helps to seal in the juices or flavor of the food being air-fried. This is why it’s so important to pre-heat the air fryer before using it for any recipe.
- It’s also important to make sure there is space between each breast while air frying.
- Use chicken breasts that are the same size so they all cook at the same rate.
- Avoid cooking the chicken too long in the air fryer since they will carryover cook while they are resting. A good tip is to check the chicken 1 or 2 minutes after it reaches 155° degrees to see if more or less cooking time is needed.
Keep leftover chicken breast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, freeze individual portions in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. Simply remove a portion and add to a recipe as needed.
Other Easy Recipes To Try!
- Creamy Lemon Chicken – easy and delicious!
- Roasted Chicken and Vegetables – a complete meal.
- Chicken Lasagna – a tasty version of a classic!
- Rotisserie Chicken – family favorite entree.
- Chicken Taco Soup – quick and easy to make.
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless chicken breasts approximately 2 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Italian dressing mix or your favorite chicken seasoning
- salt and pepper optional, to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Season chicken breasts with olive oil and seasoning.
- Place chicken breasts in the basket of the air fryer, leaving space between the pieces. Set air fryer to 380°F, and cook chicken for 10 minutes.
- Flip chicken in the basket and cook for 5-9 more minutes, or until chicken reaches 165°F on an instant read thermometer. Remove each breast as it is cooked through. Do not overcook.
- Rest chicken for 5 minutes before serving or slicing. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe very slightly adapted from Spend With Pennies