Roasted Chicken and Vegetables are the perfect entrée for busy weekdays or even when company’s coming!
This recipe makes a juicy chicken slow roasted with savory vegetables and seasonings for a delicious and easy meal made in just one pan! Serve with some homemade No Knead Bread and a crispy Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Roasted Chicken and Vegetables recipe to your DINNER Board!
One Pan Wonder
- Who doesn’t love an entire entrée cooked in one pan in the oven?
- Perfect for any assortment of chicken pieces! Whole, boneless breasts, thighs, or legs, this is an easy elegant dinner!
- The juices from the chicken lightly season the veggies to savory perfection!
What’s in Roasted Chicken & Veggies?
This one-pot wonder has a ton of hearty root vegetables! Herb seasoned carrots and potatoes are the best choices for this comfort food meal. But sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and broccoli florets are also great choices. Even brussels sprouts, green beans, or small pieces of ears of corn make a colorful and delicious addition!
How to Roast Chicken & Vegetables
- Prepare vegetables and drizzle with oil and salt and pepper. Place in the baking dish (or sheet pan).
- Season chicken and place on top of vegetables.
- Place lemon wedges inside the chicken. PRO TIP: Sliced garlic added to the inside of the chicken will add flavor to the meat.
- Bake chicken, breast side up on top of vegetables. Baste every 20 minutes with the savory juices from the casserole dish.
- Cook until chicken temperature reads 165˚F (check by inserting a thermometer into the thickest part of the bird, away from bones). Roast whole or chicken pieces for approximately 20 minutes per pound. Baste often to ensure a juicy finished result.
- Once cooked, remove chicken and let it rest, covered with foil on a plate.
- Keep slow cooking vegetables if they aren’t quite done while the chicken is being carved (remember to remove the lemon wedges from inside the bird)!
Tips to Remember
- For a more elegant-looking chicken that will cook more evenly, truss or tie the chicken with culinary twine so the wings and legs are close to the body. This prevents the wings and legs from drying out. Place twine underneath the fatty end of the chicken. Cross the twine over the lower portions of the legs in a figure 8 pattern until the legs and wings are snug against the body.
- Cut veggies to the same size so they cook evenly. Brush with a little balsamic vinegar before cooking so they develop a nice caramelized color and mild, sweet flavor.
- Tent the chicken with foil to keep the steam in while the chicken rests. Rest the chicken to lock in juices.
- For extra crispy veggies, place the baked veggies under the broiler for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before broiling for extra flavor and crunch!
Store leftover chicken and vegetables in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The chicken can be used in sandwiches or to top a salad throughout the week! Reheat in the microwave.
Freeze leftover chicken (after removing it from the bones) for up to 8 weeks in the freezer. For a whole chicken, save that carcass to cook soup with!
Other Easy Chicken Recipes To Try!
- Chicken Broccoli Bake – an easy weeknight dinner.
- Creamy Lemon Chicken– a zesty entree!
- Chicken Parmesan With Spaghetti Squash – so delicious.
- Chicken Lasagna – a twist on a favorite!
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi – perfect skillet dinner.
Roast Chicken and Vegetables
- 4 carrots cut into 2 inch pieces, or 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 medium potatoes cut into quarters, or 3 cups baby potatoes
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 chicken 3-4 pounds
- 2 Tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 Tablespoon Italian dressing mix or your favorite seasoning mix, or mix together 1 teaspoon basil, ½ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon quartered, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside. Remove chicken from the fridge and allow to rest as you prepare the vegetables.
- Prepare vegetables. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and add to the baking dish.
- Rub outside of chicken with butter and sprinkle with Italian dressing mix (or seasoning mix). Place lemon quarters inside of chicken. Put chicken on top of vegetables, breast side up.
- Baste chicken every 20 minutes or so. Check after about one hour, continuing to bake until the chicken thigh reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the oven, and place the chicken on a plate. Tent loosely with foil, and allow to rest for about 15 minutes before serving.
- If the vegetables are not quite cooked, return them to the oven as you carve the chicken.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.