We have a brand new, super easy recipe for Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash!
This chicken parmesan spaghetti squash recipe has chicken breasts or cutlets that are breaded and oven-baked to crispy perfection. They are served over a bed of healthy, seasoned spaghetti squash. Colorful and delicious, our recipe for chicken parmesan stuffed spaghetti squash will be a family favorite for years to come!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this easy Chicken Parmesan With Spaghetti Squash recipe to your DINNER Board!
What We Love About This Recipe
There are lots of easy chicken parmesan recipes on the internet, but ours takes the tasty classic and makes it especially delish! It’s crispy, coated in a seasoned panko crust. The chicken stays tender and juicy on the inside. Plus it’s served on healthy spaghetti squash instead of carb-heavy pasta! It’s a healthy twist on a famous classic!
CHICKEN BREASTS – The best homemade chicken parmesan starts with equally sized portions of chicken so they cook at the same rate.
PANKO BREAD CRUMBS – Keep things crispy crunchy, and well seasoned.
SAUCE – Some flavorful pasta sauce, either homemade or use a favorite kind from a jar.
SQUASH – Two spaghetti squashes cut in half means four large portions of chicken parmesan!
- This easy baked recipe is so versatile, too! Switch out the spaghetti sauce for a jar of creamy Alfredo sauce or a zesty pesto, it’s still a simple casserole that’s baked in the oven in less than an hour from start to finish!
- Switch out the parmesan and mozzarella for other favorite cheese combos. Try Muenster and Romano, or go for cheddar & asiago!
How to Cook Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash
Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti squash is so easy to make but tastes like a fancy restaurant meal. Here’s an overview to give the basic idea!
- Prepare and bake squashes (according to recipe card found at the bottom of this post.)
- Flatten each chicken breast to even thickness. Sprinkle with pepper and then press into flour, dip into the egg, then press into the seasoned Panko crumbs.
- Fry chicken in a skillet preheated with oil. Remove and drain.
- Remove spaghetti squashes from the oven and shred into “noodles” inside the skins of each half. Cover with sauce, cheese mixture.
- Arrange fried chicken on top, cover with more sauce and remaining cheese. Bake spaghetti squash boats until cheese is bubbly, and serve with lemon wedges.
What to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash is a protein and a vegetable, so we like to keep the sides fairly simple. Serve with some bacon wrapped brussel sprouts for an appetizer, and a red leaf salad. How about a strawberry poke cake for dessert?
Tips for Perfect Chicken Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
- No meat mallet? Use a rolling pin to flatten out the meat, or the flat side of a heavy spoon.
- To save on clean up, tenderize the meat between two pieces of plastic wrap before pounding.
- Take care not to overcook the chicken in the skillet, just cook until the coating becomes golden brown, the chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
- Keep leftover chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash in a covered container in tKe refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave with a fresh sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Other Delicious Recipes To Try!
- Spinach Lasagna – a classic.
- Italian Meatballs – versatile in many recipes.
- Easy Turkey Pot Pie – family favorite recipe
- Instant Pot Italian Chicken and Noodles – quick and easy!
Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 spaghetti squashes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1-1 ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ⅛ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- olive oil for frying
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover baking tray with parchment paper. Wash outside of squash. Poke holes around the squash lengthwise. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes to soften. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to remove seeds. Brush inside of squash with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake cut side down on baking tray for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place flour in shallow dish, egg in another shallow dish, and mix together bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and ⅛ cup parmesan in a third shallow dish.
- Flatten chicken breast slightly so that it is even. Sprinkle chicken breasts with pepper. Toss breast in flour, then egg wash, then coat in bread crumbs, pressing slightly so crumbs adhere. Discard remaining flour, egg and bread crumb mixture.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a skillet. Reduce heat to medium and fry chicken on first side for about 6-7 minutes, then flip and cook about 6-7 minutes on the second side, adding additional oil as needed. Chicken should be almost cooked and will finish cooking in the oven. If 4 pieces of chicken don’t fit in the skillet, you may want to use 2 pans and do all chicken at one time.
- After 30 minutes, remove spaghetti squash from oven. Scrape spaghetti squash to make noodles and place noodle side up on baking tray.
- Mix together mozzarella and 1 cup parmesan.
- Add approximately ¼ cup pasta sauce on top of each squash half. Sprinkle each squash half with approximately ¼ cup cheese mixture and top with chicken. Top four chicken pieces with remaining pasta sauce and divide the remaining cheese and sprinkle over the four chicken pieces.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.