This recipe for sourdough chocolate chip cookie bars will take your bar cookie game to the next level!
Ever heard of the amazingly tangy, sweet combination of sourdough chocolate chip cookies? Sourdough cookie bars are soft, chewy, and a bread-like texture!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe to your Dessert Board!
We Love Sourdough Cookie Bars!
Sourdough cookies are perfect for an afternoon treat or served warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! Take some to a picnic, a potluck, or share as an after-practice snack with the team! These cookies are out of this world!
What Can I Do With Discarded Sourdough?
When you work so hard to keep sourdough at the right temperature and “feed” it, it seems a shame to throw away the discard. What can be done with the leftover starter? Sourdough discard can be used in these sourdough cookies, sourdough rhubarb muffins, banana bread or scones, oatmeal cookies, or delicious sourdough blueberry muffins! Extra sourdough starter is just too valuable to toss— but we have so many ways it can be incorporated into new recipes!
Sourdough Cookie Bar Ingredients
The usual ingredients go into baking sourdough cookie bars except for the addition of discarded sourdough starter, of course.
- For best results, we like to use real butter, a good quality flour (like King Arthur brand), and real, dark chocolate chips. It’s a shame to call them discard cookies now, isn’t it?
- Feel free to use raisins, cranberries, or even coconut instead of the nuts. White chocolate chips with cranberries is an amazing combo!
- Add peanut butter for a creamy, tasty twist!
PRO TIP: To make nuts even crunchier and tastier, roast in a saute pan on medium heat until they are just barely turning golden brown. Remove promptly from heat. Let them cool before adding to the recipe.
How to Make Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies Bars
This sourdough chocolate chip cookie recipe will get so many compliments! The trick is to use high quality ingredients if you can! Everyone will want your “secret” recipe!
- Preheat oven and prepare baking pan.
- Cream the butter and sugars, and add all other wet ingredients including starter.
- Whisk dry ingredients and gently mix into the wet. Fold in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
- Spread dough in the prepared pan, sprinkle with more chocolate, and bake just until chewy in the center!
Cool and cut into bars, serve, and enjoy!
For chewier bars, reduce the flour by ½ cup. Bake only until “just” set (don’t overbake).
Storing and Freezing
Sourdough chocolate chip cookie bars are easily stored and frozen!
- Keep them in an airtight container or zippered bag at room temperature and they should last about 5 days. Store them with a slice of bread to absorb additional moisture so they don’t get too moist!
- To freeze, lay them on a sheet pan, covered with plastic wrap. When they are fully frozen, transfer to zippered bags, label, and store in the freezer. They should stay fresh for up to three months.
Ever heard of the amazingly tangy, sweet combination of sourdough chocolate chip cookies? Sourdough cookie bars are amazingly soft, chewy, and a slightly bread-like texture!
Favorite Cookie Recipes
- Magic Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sourdough starter 227 grams (discard or fed)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rolled oats not quick oats
- 3 cups chocolate chips divided
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional, or raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment or grease pan.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add sourdough starter, eggs, and vanilla, mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture and combine well. Add oats, mixing on low until just combined. Add 2 cups chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Spread mixture in pan and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 20-35 minutes, until just baked. Allow to cool, slice, and serve! Bake about 25 minutes for chewy texture.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe!
Adapted from Little Squidgen Home