Hold onto this recipe because these are the absolute best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies anyone’s ever tasted!
Nestle Tollhouse has nothing on these tasty, chewy, delights. This is the best homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe that everyone will beg to have. So bake up a batch or two of these beauties, but make sure to freeze some before they all completely disappear! (And it might be a good idea to have a few copies of the recipe printed out for friends, too!)
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe to your DESSERTS Board!
Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Every home cook needs their own homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe that’s easy to make and guarantees perfect results every time.
- Chocolate chip pecan cookies are one of the most classic cookie recipes that gets passed down from generation to generation, and this one is the one mom used to make!
- These cookies are so legendary, they are holiday worthy. Make and share for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or any special celebration.
- Bake a batch from scratch and celebrate National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.
- These Award-winning soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies are also ideal for so many different cookie dough add-ins and variations on the baking methods! Check out this fun skillet bake method, or try these elegant sourdough chocolate chip bars. Or make some tasty m&m cookies, or some mint chocolate chip cookies for St. Patrick’s Day.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Cookies
THE BASICS: This simple recipe makes Crisco chocolate chip cookies because shortening keeps the cookies super chewy and doesn’t make them cakey. It also allows for the cookies to bake longer, creating a crispy edge around the cookies, if that’s the desired result. Basic chocolate chip cookies are made with brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, and a handful of pecans.
ADD-INS: Chocolate chip cookies are perfect for all kinds of add-ins! Here’s a list of favorites: oatmeal, white chocolate chips, walnuts, coconut, toffee bits, salted caramels, chunks of dark chocolate bar (break up pieces), or chopped up dried fruit like cherries, apricots, or mangoes.
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make these chewy cookies!
- Cream shortening and brown sugar together, then add wet ingredients.
- Mix wet & dry ingredients together and stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake (per recipe below). That’s all!
Tips and Tricks
- For perfect cookies every time, use a large egg and let it come to room temperature before adding to the batter. This binds the ingredients and gives the cookie a super chewy texture.
- Double up on the dough recipe and roll it into a log. Wrap in parchment paper and store in a zippered bag with the date labeled on the outside. Then, simply slice off portions and bake as needed. Use unflavored dental floss for clean slices.
- Or, freeze individual portions on baking sheets and store them in zippered bags. Then just pop out a cookie or two and bake for an instant treat! Bake frozen cookies in an air fryer! No need to heat up the oven!
- Make chocolate chip cookie towers by spreading icing between cookies and then stacking them up. Top the cookie with icing and add colored sprinkles for a special party treat.
- Freshly baked chocolate chip pecan cookies will keep for a week in an airtight container. Put a slice of bread in with the cookies to absorb excess moisture caused by room temperature fluctuations.
Other Cookies & Treats!
- Pistachio Shortbread Cookies – crumbly and buttery treat!
- Butter Tarts – always a favorite.
- Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – amazing texture.
- Rhubarb Bars – perfect for summer!
- Baked Apple Donuts – perfect fall treat.
- Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies – delicious holiday favorite.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add shortening and brown sugar. Cream for 2 minutes on medium speed (or until light in color).
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat for 45-60 seconds, or until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. With mixer on low, add to wet mixture, and beat for 45-60 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Using a 2 Tablespoon cookie dough scoop, measure cookie dough and place on ungreased parchment lined baking tray. Leave about 3 inches between cookies.*
- Bake 11-13 minutes. Cookies will appear moist. Do not over bake.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes, then carefully move to cooling rack.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Recipe given to me by my mom, clipped from an old magazine. Similar to this recipe