Fall is the perfect time to make these Baked Apple Donuts, and with this simple baked donut recipe it could not be easier!
Nothing smells or tastes better than freshly baked donuts fresh from the oven! Baked donuts have that light, cake-like moistness, and these are lightly seasoned with cinnamon sugar and mixed with grated apple. It’s the ideal autumn snack for after school or mornings on the go! Dunk or dip into cider, hot cocoa, or coffee for a treat. There’s no better way to start the day than with one of these Baked Apple Donuts, which are delicious with or without the icing!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Baked Apple Donuts recipe to your DESSERT Board!
Amazing Apple Donuts
- No waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts when making homemade donuts is so easy!
- Baked apple donuts mean there are no messy splatters of hot oil or greasy, deep-fried dough. Fewer calories? Yes, please!
- Yeast-free and made with basic ingredients that are probably already in the pantry, all it takes is a small apple and a quick glaze! They taste like little grab-and-go apple pies!
- Make apple donuts in any size! Minis, regular size, donut holes, or make free-form fritters on parchment paper. This recipe is so easy to customize, even the kids will want to help!
What’s in Baked Apple Donuts?
BASIC BATTER: Flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, milk, and butter bake up light and airy in the oven.
APPLES: Grated apple adds that taste of autumn we all crave from time to time.
SPICE: What would baked apple donuts be without cinnamon? It’s practically a necessity! Feel free to use pumpkin or apple pie spice mix for even more warmth of flavor.
ICING: A brown sugar and cinnamon glaze tops these beauties off with just the right touch But if icing isn’t your thing, leave it off. These donuts are delish eaten plain, or with just a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar!
- Add a few tablespoons of Dutch pressed cocoa for a chocolate donut, or stir in some pumpkin puree and some pumpkin pie spice for a more dense pumpkin donut that’s really fun for decorating!
- Gluten-free flour can be switched out equally for the regular flour and a sugar-free substitute can be used in place of the white and brown sugar.
How to Make Baked Donuts
Baked donuts are so much easier (and healthier) than the deep fried kind, but they taste just as great!
- Prepare donut pans. Whisk flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs, milk, & butter. Fold wet ingredients into the dry. Stir in grated apple.
- Scoop or pour into prepared donut pan and bake (per recipe below).
- Cool donuts before icing.
- Whisk together the icing ingredients (per recipe below).
- Carefully dip the top of each donut into the icing and set on a tray to dry.
PRO TIP: Add a few drops of a flavored extract like rum or brandy to complement the apple donuts!
Tips for the Best Baked Donuts
For best results, avoid overmixing the donut batter. It’s important to keep as much air in the batter as possible so they will rise properly. To easily transfer the batter into the prepared pans, scoop the batter into a gallon-sized bag and snip the corner off. Squeeze the batter into the donut pan and then wash it out for another use.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes!
- Banana Donuts with Chocolate Glaze – decadent.
- Blueberry Cobbler – with fresh or frozen berries!
- Apple Bundt Cake – delicious fall recipe.
- Rhubarb Crisp – perfectly tart and sweet!
- Homemade Peach Cobbler – a favorite.
- Easy Apple Crisp – super easy recipe.
Baked Apple Donuts
- 2 cups flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ⅔ cup milk
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 apple grated (about ¾-1 cup)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk may need a bit more to thin glaze
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease donut pans (with spray, oil, or butter).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, milk, and butter.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, mix until well combined. Fold in grated apple.
- Divide the batter between the pans, filling half way. I add the batter to a large zip top bag, cut a hole in the corner and squeeze it into the mold to keep things easy and neat (or use a piping bag).
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until donut springs back when touched and center is cooked.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then gently turn out onto wire rack.
- Meanwhile, whisk together powdered sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar, and milk to create the glaze. Add a couple drops of milk if the mixture needs to be a bit thinner.
- Dip the top of each donut in the glaze and flip over. Touch up glaze if desired. Allow glaze to harden before serving.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Baked Apple Donuts Recipe