This Easy Apple Crisp is the best autumn dessert ever!
Fresh apples are always in season and apple desserts are as American as, well apple pie! Make this sweet apple crisp and bring it to a party or a potluck then watch it disappear. This crumbly delight is a sure recipe winner with a crisp topping over sweet and tender baked apples. Try it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a drizzle of clotted cream. It’s classic dessert goodness, every time!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Easy Apple Crisp recipe to your DESSERTS Board!
Amazing Apple Crisp!
- Homemade apple crisp is a foolproof recipe for new bakers because it doesn’t need a pie crust on top or any complicated prep steps! Even kids can help out with this dessert.
- Apples are baked in sweet and savory spices under a crunchy topping. This apple crisp recipe is made with healthy oatmeal and with or without nuts! Top with ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce, or honey!
- For a special holiday dessert, cook apple crisp with some colorful fresh or frozen cranberries or cut up some caramel candies and mix them in with the apples!
- Crisp recipes are the best because they are so versatile. Try a Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp, Blueberry Crisp or an Easy Peach Crisp Recipe.
What are the Best Apples to Use?
Granny Smith apples are firm and tart and have a thin skin that makes them easier to peel. Honeycrisp and Fuji’s are good choices, too. Any kind of apple will do and the results will only be slight, so why not use a variety of apples? Thinly sliced apples will result in a softer dessert and thicker sliced (or chopped) apples will make a thicker, crunchier dessert.
APPLES Choose apples that are heavy, firm, with unblemished skins and a sweet smell. As they bake, the juices will create a sauce with sugar and flour.
TOPPING Brown sugar and quick oats are mixed with butter and apple pie spice into a sweet topping that can also be used for multiple recipes! How about sprinkling it over some vanilla ice cream, baked onto a bowl of oatmeal, or topped onto some Blueberry Bran Muffins, or over a Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake.
- So many easy variations mean apple crisp can be DIY’d into a signature dessert! Make a gluten-free version by switching out the white for almond flour and using white and brown sugar substitutes like Swerve.
- Walnuts can be used in place of the pecans, too! Lightly sautéing nuts before using them in any recipe intensifies their flavor and makes them extra crunchy!
- Short on time? Open a dry cake mix like a yellow or spice cake and sprinkle over the apple filling. Bake as directed.
How to Make Easy Apple Crisp
Apple crisp is such an easy and quick dessert to make, ready in two simple steps:
- Mix apples with flour and sugar, then fold into a casserole dish.
- Combine topping and spread over apples. Bake until bubbly and cooked through.
How to Make Apple Crisp in a Crock-Pot
- Mix apples, flour and sugar, then spread in the bottom of a Crockpot.
- Mix topping and pour over fruit mixture. Cover, and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Remove lid for the last 30 minutes.
How to Store Apple Crisp
Keep apple crisp in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Freeze portions in small containers for up to 3 weeks. Allow apple crisp to thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Reheat leftover or thawed apple crisp in the oven or microwave. If heating in the oven, cover with foil until warmed through. Heat small portions in the microwave at 30 second intervals, taking care not to over cook.
Got Extra Apples?
- Instant Pot Applesauce – only 10 minutes of prep!
- French Toast Casserole With Apples – a delicious breakfast.
- Baked Apple Donuts – a fall inspired cake donut treat!
- Apple Bundt Cake – for dessert or afternoon snack.
Easy Apple Crisp
- 5 cups sliced apples
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- ¼ cup pecans chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 6 or 8 cup baking dish and set aside.
- Peel apples, and cut into slices.
- Place apples into baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and flour, tossing to coat. Set aside.
- Make the topping by mixing together the oats, sugar, butter, flour, and apple pie spice with a pastry cutter. Once fully mixed, use a spoon to stir in nuts if using. Spoon topping on top of fruit, pressing down slightly.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until bubbling on the edges and apples are cooked through. If it starts to brown but the fruit is not ready, cover loosely with foil or parchment and bake for 5 more minutes. If still not ready, check after 3 minutes until it is cooked to your liking.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving to thicken the fruit mixture.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Easy Apple Crisp recipe!
The best with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.