These easy blueberry bran muffins are made with buttermilk for bright flavor, a dash of wheat bran for fiber, and blueberries for natural sweetness!
Looking for a classic, old-fashioned, healthy bran muffin recipe that’s packed with flavor? Look no further! These healthy banana blueberry muffins are the perfect portable snack for a kids’ lunchbox!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Blueberry Bran Muffins Recipe to your Breakfast Board!
Take some along to a game, a brunch, a party, or a potluck — everyone will agree these are the best bran muffins ever! So moist, so light, and so healthy! This recipe for banana bran muffins with blueberries will be on your menu rotation all year long! Blueberry bran muffins taste great with a yogurt bowl or a mixed berry smoothie. Or serve a platter of hot muffins with our breakfast strata with sausage and a side of fresh fruit!
What is a Bran Muffin?
Homemade bran muffins might sound like boring, old fashioned health food, but our version of blueberry bran muffins is all the things that boring bran muffins aren’t! They’re naturally sweetened with bananas and fresh or frozen blueberries! And, the tangy buttermilk makes these muffins the best go-to for a nutritious and fiber-packed snack. Spread generously with our fabulous honey butter for a delicious treat that’s amazing with coffee or tea!
Ingredients and Variations
- Bran, fresh blueberries & bananas are all added to these muffins!
- Blueberry bran muffins are super versatile. They hold up well to add-ins like nuts, cocoa, or chocolate chips, dried fruit, coconut, chia, or hemp seeds for an extra nutritional kick!
- This basic recipe can even be made into banana chocolate bran muffins! Add mini chocolate chips and they are good to go!
No buttermilk? No worries. Add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring cup. Fill with milk to reach one cup. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Use this in place of the buttermilk. It works like a charm!
How to Make Bran Muffins
Here’s an overview to walk you through the basic steps:
- Mix bran and buttermilk and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, then fold wet ingredients into the dry and stir until barely mixed.
- Add any mix-ins.
- Bake muffins in prepared tins. When a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, they are ready!
- Let muffins cool about 10 minutes in the pan before removing.
How Long to Bake Different Sized Muffins
My kiddos love the mini muffin versions of these. These muffins can be baked in your favorite sized muffin tin.
- For mini-muffins: bake 15-20 minutes.
- For regular-sized muffins: bake 20-25 minutes.
- For jumbo-sized muffins: bake 25-30 minutes.
How to Store and Reheat Muffins
- Blueberry bran muffins will keep fresh up to 4 days in an airtight container or a zippered bag.
- Place a slice of bread in with the muffins and it will absorb the additional moisture so muffins don’t get soggy in higher humidity.
- The best way to reheat a muffin is to toast it in a toaster oven, or grill it then top with butter! Or, pop it in the microwave for 20 seconds or until heated.
Can You Freeze Bran Muffins?
- Blueberry bran muffins will freeze beautifully! Wrap individually in plastic wrap and place in a dated freezer bag. They should keep fresh and tasty up to a month in the freezer.
- Blueberry bran muffins thaw in 2 hours which is perfect for when cravings for a mid-morning snack hit! Or, set them out the night before at room temperature and they’ll be ready in the morning!
Blueberry Bran MuffinsThese Blueberry Bran Muffins are the perfect snack or breakfast when you're on the go!Servings 12 muffinsFollow me on Pinterest!Follow @OurZestyLife!
- 1 ½ cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup oil
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup banana mashed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease muffin tin.
- Mix bran and buttermilk in a large bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix in oil, sugar, egg, banana, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add to bran mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Add batter to prepared muffin tin. Bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from muffin tin.
NotesBlueberry bran muffins will keep fresh up to 4 days in an airtight container. Place a piece of bread or paper towel in the container with the muffins to soak up the moisture.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 174, Carbohydrates: 26g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Sodium: 217mg, Potassium: 247mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 11g, Vitamin A: 71IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 52mg, Iron: 1mg
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Pin this Blueberry Bran Muffin Recipe!
Slightly adapted from Rogers