Now you can bake tasty, homemade churros with crescent rolls using this super easy recipe!
Crescent roll churros are fun to make in the oven or air fryer right at home! Nowadays this Mexican dessert can be found at resorts like Disneyland, county fairs, and sporting events all over!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Baked Churros Recipe to your Dessert Board!
What is a Churro?
Churros are a light, sweet snack made from a dough called a choux, which is a French term for a pastry dough made with simple ingredients like flour, eggs, butter, and water.
It usually involves piping the dough from a pastry bag into the hot oil and deep frying, but if you don’t have time for that? This baked churro recipe is quick and easy using a shortcut dough and made healthy by lightly brushing them with melted butter, and of course, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar!
These churro crescent twists have all the light, fluffy texture without the work, and without a pastry bag! Plus, they are a super portable snack to take along on any adventure!
Where are Churros From?
Churros may have been made popular by Disney parks, but Churro is actually a Spanish word for fried dough.
Churros con chocolate are a popular treat in Mexico, and can often be ordered at roadside stands and restaurants all over Latin America. Sometimes they are served with spicy chocolate or fruit-based dipping sauce.
But now with this recipe, churros can be made with Pillsbury crescent rolls in no time at all! This recipe makes baked churros with chocolate dipping sauce, just like the original, only easier and healthier!
How to Make Baked Churros
Crescent churros are so easy to make. Four ingredients, one pan, and they’re ready in less than fifteen minutes!
They’re even a fun treat to make for a birthday party or in time for movie night! Enlist the help of kids with this easy starter recipe.
- Prep cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Unroll dough and separate into four squares. Layer dough, melted butter, and cinnamon sugar (per recipe below) and press together.
- Cut into six strips (I used a pizza cutter), gently twist together, and lay on a prepared pan.
- Brush with melted butter and bake until lightly crisped.
Remove from oven, add more butter and cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately with chocolate sauce!
How to Make Churros in an Air Fryer
Crescent roll churros can be made in an air fryer. Simply:
- Preheat air fryer to 350F.
- Place unbaked churros on parchment paper in the air fryer.
- Bake for 5 minutes, and flip churros over. Bake for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
How to Store
Store churro crescent twists in a zippered bag, air tight container, or Stasher Bag at room temperature, if there are leftovers of course!
How to Reheat Churros
Crescent churros are crisp and delicious at room temperature, but if you love them hot, it’s easy to reheat churros too!
Microwave: Pop them in the microwave for about thirty seconds.
Oven: Make them even crispier, re-bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until just warm.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Unroll dough out flat onto parchment paper (helps with dough not sticking). Separate to 4 rectangular pieces and press seams together.
- Brush 2 pieces very lightly with melted butter (optional). To each of the two pieces, evenly sprinkle with ¼ of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Top each of the two pieces with the remaining dough pieces and lightly press together.
- Using a pizza cutter (or sharp knife), cut 6 long strips while carefully holding the dough still. Carefully separate one strip and with one end in each hand, with the dough close to the parchment paper, twist both fingers in opposite directions 3 times for each strip. (It is much easier to twist with the strip close to or touching the surface.)
- Place twisted churro back on parchment paper** and lightly pinch ends together and down onto parchment paper.
- Move parchment paper filled with churros to a baking tray. Using a silicone brush, lightly brush churros with butter (approximately 1 teaspoon). Bake 9-11 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Brush baked churro with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve with Spicy Chocolate Sauce.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Pin this Baked Churro recipe!
Recipe from Pilsbury