Pistachio Shortbread Cookies will just melt in your mouth!
These pistachio cookies are a perfect treat for dipping into a glass of milk or a mug of hot cocoa. Our version is studded with pistachios and an optional addition of green food coloring makes them look so fun and festive! Make a batch or two for special celebrations like weddings, holidays, or parties.
Why We Love this Pistachio Cookie Recipe
Shortbread cookies are unique because of their high ratio of butter to sugar, which gives the cookies a rich, buttery flavor, almost like a short-crust pastry. Our pistachio cookie recipe has just 5 ingredients and is easily pressed into a pan instead of separately portioned out. The top of the shortbread dough can be scored into any size that makes the warm cookies easy to cut apart. Why not host a cookie exchange and try other fun bakeables like these M&M cookies, pecan snowball cookies or butter tarts.
Pistachio butter cookies are eggless and free of leavening agents like baking powder or baking soda. This keeps them dense but still airy enough to have that smooth, meltable mouth feel.
BUTTER Real butter is what makes shortbread so creamy and delish, it’s just not the same without it. If butter isn’t on the menu for your family, try making these with hardened buttery spread or even vegetable shortening.
PISTACHIO PUDDING Is easy to find in any market, and turns these cookies a lovely color without the need for food coloring. However if you want really green cookies, go ahead and add green food coloring.
POWDERED SUGAR The secret to excellent texture in shortbread is using powdered sugar for a creamy finish.
FRESH PISTACHIOS Pistachios have just the best unique flavor giving this crunchy shortbread the twist that’s needed for the perfect cookie!
That’s all you need to make these crunchy cookies! But feel free to get creative with your own unique twist!
- Making pistachio cookies with cake mix will result in a softer cookie, we recommend a basic yellow cake mix.
- For a festive pistachio cookie, mix in chopped, dried cranberry pieces or white or mini chocolate chips.
- Once cookies are cooled, they can be dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with chopped peanuts or orange zest.
- Make ice cream sandwiches by pressing two cooled cookies around a small scoop of pistachio ice cream and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
How to Make Pistachio Cookies
- Cream butter until soft & airy (add optional green food coloring here).
- Add pudding mix & sugar, add flour in stages.
- Add half of the chopped pistachios, mix until just combined
- Press dough into a prepared pan & score. Bake per recipe below.
PRO TIP: An electric mixer will ensure all of the ingredients are perfectly combined!
PRO TIP: Pistachio cookies are perfect icebox cookies, and like sugar cookies, they can be prepped, formed, and kept in the refrigerator until ready to bake, up to 3 days.
Tips and Tricks
- For the best pistachio pudding cookies, start with room temperature butter to make mixing easier.
- Chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before baking to firm up the butter and yield crispy cookies.
- Sauté the chopped pistachios in a small, dry pan for about 4 minutes. This makes them extra crunchy! Avoid adding too many mix-ins otherwise the cookies won’t hold their shape after they are cooled.
Storing Pistachio Pudding Cookies
Due to the high butter content, pistachio shortbread cookies will stay fresh for about 10 days at room temperature. Keep a slice of bread in the container to absorb any moisture from temperature changes that might occur. Raw dough and baked cookies can be frozen up to 3 months in a labeled zippered bag.
Other Easy Desserts To Try!
- Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake – easy to assemble.
- Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars– only 10 min prep!
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins – extra moist.
- Magic Cookie Bars – ultimate sweet treat.
- Pizookie Recipe – a fun dessert!
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – absolutely the best.
Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat oven to 300˚F. Grease 8×8 pan and line with parchment paper.
- Cream butter until soft (1-2 minutes). Add food coloring if desired. Add pudding mix and sugar and cream together until well combined. Add flour and mix until a dough forms. Add ½ cup pistachios and mix until just combined.
- Press mixture into pan and flatten with an offset spatula (or a measuring cup). Sprinkle with remaining pistachios and press lightly into dough. Score dough into desired number of pieces (16 squares, or 9 squares, and each square in half diagonally).
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, then cut through (while warm). Allow to cool and remove from pan.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!