Put the oven to work with this easy and delicious “one and done” Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake!
Four ingredients and two steps is all it takes to make a crowd-pleasing cherry pie filling dump cake that everyone will love! For a party, serve with a pitcher of cherry margaritas, or some non-alcoholic mixed berry smoothie!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake to your DESSERTS Board!
Why We Love This Recipe!
What’s not to love? A black forest dump cake that’s perfect for a party, picnic, or a buffet will be all the rage! Add some whipped cream or a side of vanilla ice cream for a super easy cake mix dessert, packed with canned or fresh cherries, chocolate chips, or even drained, canned pineapple will add fresh options to the basic recipe!
Ingredients and Variations
CAKE MIX – A simple chocolate cake mix, double chocolate, German chocolate or a brownie mix is the easy basic foundation.
PIE FILLING – And then we like to add cherry pie filling and chocolate chips.
EXTRAS – But, feel free to add coconut, chopped walnuts, pecans, or sliced almonds to the batter before baking. Or make a crisp topping with a mixture of oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter before baking.
VARIATION – For a fresh, springtime variation, use a vanilla cake mix and pair with a can of peach or blueberry filling along with a topping of vanilla-flavored whipped cream.
How to Make a Cherry Dump Cake
We make the best cherry dump cake easy!
- Grease a casserole dish with pan release spray.
- Spread cherry pie filling across the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Top with dry cake mix and then chocolate chips. Add melted (or butter pats) on top.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes in a casserole dish or 40to 45 minutes for a cake pan. The top should be cooked and the fruit bubbling.
- Let the chocolate cherry dump cake cool for about 10 minutes before serving with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
In a Crockpot
Put that slow cooker to use and let it make dessert while you’re busy with other things! Here’s our variation for chocolate cherry dump cake in the Crockpot!
- Spread cherry pie filling across the bottom of the casserole dish that’s been prepped with pan release.
- Sprinkle cake mix and then chocolate chips. Add melted (or butter pats) on top.
- Cook, covered for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high.
- Scoop out cake and let it cool for about 5 minutes before serving with your favorite garnishes like whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Or serve it without any sides and let it speak for itself—it’s so yummy!
Tips and Tricks
- For best results, use room temperature butter as part of the topping so it melts easier.
How to Store Cherry Dump Cake
You mean, if there ARE any leftovers? Keep chocolate cherry dump cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Serve cold or reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes To Try!
- Butter Tarts – a classic dessert!
- Brownies– a family favorite.
- Strawberry Poke Cake – fresh and fun!
- Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – made with sourdough starter.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 3 quart casserole dish or 9x13 pan.
- Add cherry pie filling. Sprinkle cake mix on top (do not mix), then chocolate chips. Carefully pour melted butter (or add sliced butter) on top.
- Bake 45-50 minutes for a casserole dish, or 40-45 minutes for a 9x13 pan, until top of cake is cooked and fruit is bubbling.
- Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
- Recipe from The Shortcut Kitchen