This M&M cookies recipe is so incredibly easy, I mean, every cookie is easy when there is candy in it, right? This is the ultimate cookie recipe!
OMG – m&m cookies are the best with anything! This recipe is super fun during ALL of the holidays with the various m&ms color combinations. Special events (including Easter or Christmas Eve) with other desserts like Pistachio Shortbread Cookies, Baked Pumpkin Donuts, Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp, Apple Bundt Cake, and my SUPER popular Buster Bar Ice Cream Cake!!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this M&M Cookie recipe to your Dessert board!
The best homemade m&m cookies are made with the colorful candies that reflect any holiday throughout the year! You can make red and green m&m cookies and call them M&M Christmas cookies, or pink, yellow and baby blue M&M cookies for Easter cookies, or use pink, white and red m&ms for Valentine’s cookies, or even yellow and orange M&Ms for Thanksgiving and Halloween cookies!
By the way, did you know that you can do custom m&ms? We did them for our wedding! My wedding was not photographed on digital (OLD), so I can’t even find a photo to show, but it was very cool! It said “Candace & Paul” and our wedding date, on m&ms that matched our wedding colors (green and white). If I find a photo, I’ll add it for sure!
This m&m cookie recipe will be a staple in your recipe box all year round! If you are asking yourself if you ‘can bake m&ms in cookies’ from scratch, then the answer is yes! They will remain whole and just as colorful, and will release a burst of warm, melted chocolate with every bite you take!
M&M Cookies Ingredients
For the best flavor, naturally, you’ll want to use the freshest ingredients you can get! Use real butter, real vanilla extract, and most important of all, a high-quality bag of chocolate chips, of course! Whether you want soft and chewy cookies or crunchy cookies, individual cookies or M&M cookie bars, the best ingredients produce the best results! This recipe uses pudding mix for a super creamy, almost cake-like flavor.
How to Make M&M Cookies
- Mix butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla until creamed thoroughly. Scrape the bowl and add the next three ingredients.
- Incorporate the chocolate chips in and mix for about 30 seconds, then add the m&m candies.
- Using a scoop, place cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate a minimum of two hours. (For perfect results, before refrigerating, set some M&Ms on the top of each cookie so they cook on the top of the cookie.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake cookies 11 to 13 minutes, until edges are just browned.
Can I Substitute M&Ms for Chocolate Chips in Cookies?
You sure can! They can be used interchangeably, so feel free to switch them out, but why not add both? I like to use both high-quality Chocolate Chips and M&Ms for festive color and a bit of crunch. I’ve also experimented with colorful Skittles or M&M’s with peanuts and these ingredients work great as an alternative (but definitely are different!).
Can You Freeze M&M Cookies?
M&M cookies can be frozen and will be especially tasty if they are frozen with a scoop of vanilla ice cream between them for an M&M Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich. My kiddos think this is the winning combo! M&Ms and ice cream? Seriously delicious!
You will have best results if you freeze the M&M cookie dough and only bake what you need. M&M cookie dough can be frozen in pre-measured scooped balls (try this cookie scoop, found on Amazon) and then baked from a frozen state at the same preheated oven temp. Bake for about 15 to 17 minutes instead of 11 to 13.
Don’t forget, use any color of M&Ms to match your mood! Truly, these are the perfect all year round cookie.
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup instant vanilla pudding mix or 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup M&Ms divided
- Using stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix together butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla and beat until combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Scrape the bowl and add flour, pudding mix, and baking soda and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Add chocolate chips and mix for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup M&Ms and mix for about 15 seconds or until just mixed in, OR mix by hand so they don’t break.
- Using 3 Tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop 15 heaping scoops (or ¼ cup scoop, fairly even scoops) and place on parchment lined baking tray. Evenly divide remaining M&Ms and press into top of each cookie dough scoop.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours (or more).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper and add cookie dough spaced evenly on the sheet (allow 2 inches between cookies).
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until edges are just cooked/ browned. They may appear undercooked in the middle. Cool for 10 minutes or longer on baking tray and transfer to cooling rack.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Pin this easy M and M Cookie recipe!
Recipe from Averie Cooks