Microwave spaghetti squash is a quick and easy alternative to baking in the oven.
Cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave will be your new fave way to get this delicious, nutritious ready to enjoy in minutes instead of oven-baked.
Use this foolproof recipe for making this mildly sweet squash super tender in minutes every time!
Easiest Way to Cook Spaghetti Squash!
- This quick and easy method for cooking spaghetti squash really elevates its natural flavors, unlike the caramelization that comes from other cooking methods.
- Versatile spaghetti squash is an excellent main dish because it can be used in so many ways! Chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash would be an excellent choice.
- A whole spaghetti squash equals about 4 cups of cooked strands to use all week long in soups, or salads.
- Enjoy spaghetti squash as a low-carb alternative to pasta, by running a fork in the same direction as the strands to create ‘noodles.’
Only 5 Ingredients
Spaghetti Squash: Look for squashes that are clean and heavy with unblemished skins. Butternut and acorn squash can be microwaved, too!
How to Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- Prepare the spaghetti squash by poking holes around the squash with a fork in a line lengthwise (for easier cutting in half) and microwaving it for 3 minutes to soften it.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Add water to a glass baking dish then place squash, cut side down, in the dish. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cook until fork tender (as per the recipe below).
- Scrape with a fork to make noodles or cut into slices or cubes and season with sweet or savory herbs and spices!
Tips for Microwaving Squash
- Do not try to cook a whole squash all of the way in the microwave, steam buildup can cause it to burst open.
- Avoid adding too much water as it will make the squash mushy and the strands won’t be as long as they could be.
Storing Leftover Squash
Keep leftover spaghetti squash covered in a container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months in zippered bags. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Have you tried this Microwave Spaghetti Squash recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- Wash outside of squash. Poke holes around the squash lengthwise. Microwave on high for 3 minutes to soften. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise along the holes.
- Use a spoon to scrape and remove seeds.
- Add water to a glass baking dish, and place squash cut side down in the dish. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cook spaghetti squash on high for 7-10 minutes, until fork tender.
- Scrape spaghetti squash to make noodles. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parsley if using.
- Serve with your favorite pasta sauce, or butter with your favorite spices and seasonings.
- Cook a 3 pound spaghetti squash on high for 11-13 minutes, until fork tender.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!