Roasted Delicata Squash is mild and buttery with a delicious texture.
Delicata squash roasted in the oven is such an elegant, yet easy recipe to make, you’ll wonder why you haven’t made it already! Simply slice delicata and coat with seasoned butter then bake to tender perfection! It’s so simple to make this yummy squash with only a few ingredients, and it is sure to turn out tasting perfect. The best part is that it doesn’t take very long to prepare. So try it alongside just about any entree to dress up the meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Roasted Delicata Squash recipe to your SIDE DISHES Board!
Delicious Delicata Squash!
- Delicata squash is a readily available and affordable source of vital antioxidants and fiber.
- Its mild and somewhat buttery flavor makes it a perfect complement to any protein main dish. Scoop up a few when they are on sale and freeze portions for future sides, soups, stews, or stir-fries!
- Of all the winter-based squashes, the delicata squash is particularly easy to cook with since the skin does not have to be removed, saving time and clean-up!
- This squash has a thin skin, like a zucchini, so yes it can be eaten!
- Super easy to propagate, delicata seeds are a fun garden experiment for the kids, or just bake them up for a tasty snack! Rinse the seeds and then use this pumpkin seeds recipe as a guide.
Ingredients and Variations
DELICATA: Choose heavy squash that is free of soft spots or tears in the flesh. For this recipe, butternut or acorn squash can be prepared the same way.
SEASONINGS: Like many squashes, delicata can be made sweet or savory. To serve with a salty dish like ham, roast delicata and brush with maple syrup or honey, or give this easy honey butter recipe a try.
How to Cut a Delicata Squash
- For this recipe, cut delicata squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Cut each half into 1” slices. Squash can also be cut into cubes, rings, or cooked whole by piercing it all over with a fork (similar to a potato) so the steam can escape as it cooks.
How to Roast Delicata Squash
It doesn’t get any easier than this:
- Toss the slices with butter and seasonings (per recipe below).
- Bake the slices in a single layer at 350°F or 400°F or until they are tender, depending on their size.
- Always remember to flip the pieces over halfway through cooking so they are caramelized on both sides.
- Garnish with fresh sprigs of thyme, if desired.
PRO TIP: A larger delicata squash will take longer to roast than a smaller one since the flesh is thicker.
What to Serve with Delicata Squash?
As a vegetarian/vegan main dish serve roasted halves stuffed with bread stuffing, some chopped green apples, sauteed onions, fresh sage, and a garnish of bright red pomegranate seeds or toasted walnuts. As a side dish, serve with oven-baked ham, a beef round roast, or air fryer buttermilk chicken. Don’t forget a light and crispy kale caesar salad, or a red leaf salad with lemon vinaigrette.
How To Store Delicata Squash
Store the uncut squash in a cool dry place, like a pantry, for up to 3 months. No need to refrigerate.
After it has been cooked and cooled, cover and refrigerate for 4-5 days. Freeze squash in labelled zipper freezer bags or containers for 3-4 months. Frozen squash thaws quickly for an easy side dish, or add to future recipes like soups or stews.
Other Delish Sides!
- Roasted Acorn Squash – another easy squash recipe!
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower – quick 10 minute prep.
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli – so flavorful.
- Oven Roasted Asparagus – perfect side or appetizer.
- Sauteed Mushrooms – delicious.
Roasted Delicata Squash
- 2 delicata squash any size*
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme or parsley, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper (if using).
- Wash each squash and cut in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove seeds. Cut halves in 1 inch slices and add to a large bowl.
- Add melted butter, garlic powder(if using), salt, and pepper to squash. Toss and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes.
- Garnish with thyme if desired, and serve.
- Store uncut squash in a cool dry place for up to 3 months. No need to refrigerate.
- *In this recipe, delicata squash that were about ¾ pound each and took 25 minutes to bake.
- Adjust roast time to the size of squash. Larger delicata squash will take longer to roast than smaller ones since the flesh is thicker.
- This versatile squash can be served warm or at room temperature!
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for 4-5 days.
- Freeze cooked and cooled squash in freezer bags or containers for 3-4 months.
- Frozen delicata thaws quickly. Perfect for last minute side dishes, or added to other recipes.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.