Kale, Caesar! With this easy recipe, anyone can make that uber-pricey Panera and Freshii Kale Caesar Salad.
Now that amazingly delicious Caesar dressing can be made at home! Crunchy, colorful, and packed with fiber and nutrition, kale Caesar salad is a new twist on an old classic that’s sure to please! Easy for everyday dining but elegant enough for a holiday table, this kale salad recipe will be a year-round favorite. Serve with a delicious bowl of Creamy Tomato Soup and some Sourdough Soda Bread on busy work nights!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Kale Caesar Salad recipe to your SIDE DISHES Board!
Healthy Caesar Salad
- A little goes a long way! Kale is nutrient-dense and a good choice if anyone’s counting calories, so a little bit goes a long way helping everyone power through the day!
- Kale is actually a form of ‘leaf cabbage’, and it holds up better than lettuce which means this salad can be made in advance and will stay crispier longer. Even leftovers last longer!
- In peak season, kale bunches can be huge! One bunch can easily feed up to 10 people, which makes this bistro-style salad affordable enough to feed a crowd!
Fresh ingredients ensure the best-tasting results! Choose fresh as much as possible and see what a difference it makes!
KALE: Kale has been the queen of the veggies for a while and there are always new ways to use it. Choose bunches that are heavy, free of torn or discolored leaves, and smell fresh.
DRESSING: Fresh is best for that classic garlicky-anchovy-lemony flavor that only comes in a freshly blended Caesar dressing. Fresh cheese, capers, garlic, and especially lemon juice provide that signature taste to Caesar dressing.
VARIATIONS: Make a protein kale Caesar salad by topping a bed of dressed greens with a grilled chicken breast, some chilled bay shrimp, a poached or Smoked Salmon fillet or tofu. Or keep it meat-free but add crunchy proteins like walnuts, hazelnuts, or sunflower seeds. Add cooked and chilled slices of beets or shredded zucchini and carrots for a heartier salad. No capers or anchovies? Here’s Vinaigrette Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe that’s a lighter version and it’s bright and tangy, too!
How to Make Kale Caesar Salad
Kale Caesar salad is ready in no time, just a few easy steps:
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt, if desired.
- Add kale and croutons to a large bowl and toss with 2/3 cup of the dressing. Add more dressing, if needed.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.
Tips for Kale Caesar Salad
- The best way to remove the ‘spine’ in the center of the leaves is to gently tear the leaves from the stem by holding them upside down and tearing towards you. Then stack the leaves on top of each other and chop into pieces.
- Save on washing dishes and prepare the dressing in a mason jar or a cruet. Simply give it a vigorous shake and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Capers can be crushed with the back of a knife or chopped very fine if they’re too big and might overpower the flavor.
Storing Kale Caesar Salad
Keep salad covered in a container in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Toss before serving and add a little extra parmesan before serving.
Super Salad Recipes To Try!
- Kale Salad – so simple and delicious.
- Vinaigrette Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe – a lighter side to Caesar!
- Greek Salad Recipe – loaded with veggies.
- Kale Quinoa Salad – an entree style salad.
- Burrata Salad – impressive and delicious.
Kale Caesar Salad
- 1-2 bunches kale chopped, about 8 cups
- 2-3 cups croutons
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese freshly shredded
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese freshly shredded
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice or juice of 1 lemon, fresh preferred
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons capers crushed or finely chopped, or anchovy paste
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Caesar Dressing ingredients (or shake in a mason jar or cruet). Add salt if desired.
- To a large bowl, add kale and croutons. Add about ⅔ of the dressing and toss well. Add more dressing as desired. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe based on Jillian Harris recipe