Black Bean Corn Salad is a cold salad that makes a refreshing side or even a vegetarian main dish!
Corn and bean salad with tomato is quite similar to Cowboy Caviar, but it’s intended to be eaten as a salad rather than used for a dip. It’s perfect for those warm summer days, and it tastes even better the next day after being allowed to marinate in the refrigerator so that the flavors can marry together. It really is the perfect make-ahead dish!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Black Bean Corn Salad recipe to your SALADS Board!
We Love This Black Bean Corn Tomato Salad
- Corn and bean salad is great to bring to a BBQ or a picnic!
- It’s an easy side for Mexican Lasagna, Smoked Salmon or Smoked Brisket.
- With just a few simple ingredients this corn tomato salad is tasty and requires so little time to put together.
- Corn bean salad is so versatile. It can be tossed in with some quinoa or pasta. Even crushing some Frito chips into the salad will give it a crunchy, salty, and delicious flavor.
What Is Corn Salad
Corn bean salad is a crunchy salad with an assortment of flavors. It combines the sweetness of corn and tomato with a tart dressing and the rich flavor and hearty texture of black beans. It is great to make during the summer months when fresh corn, cucumber, and tomatoes are abundant. It is great to make during the summer months when fresh corn, cucumber, and tomatoes are abundant.
THE DRESSING Simply olive oil, red wine vinegar, and some cumin, there is nothing complicated about this dressing. Slowly add the olive oil to the vinegar while whisking to make it emulsified and a little creamy. The red wine vinegar can easily be substituted with apple cider vinegar. In a pinch, a basic store-bought salad dressing like a vinaigrette can also be used.
THE BEANS Black beans are a great source of fiber and protein and they taste awesome. Remember to drain and rinse the canned beans before adding them to the salad. It’s also possible to use dried beans, which will need to be soaked overnight, then cooked and drained. Just follow the package directions.
THE VEGETABLES Chop the cucumber and quarter or halve the grape tomatoes before adding them to the salad. The sweet corn should be thawed and drained before tossing into the bowl. Corn on the cob can also be roasted or grilled. Stripping the charred kernels off the grilled corn and adding them to the salad will give it a smoky flavor. Finally, strip the cilantro from the stem, chop the leaves and toss into the salad.
VARIATIONS There is no hard and fast rule to this salad. Adding avocado will give it an extra Mexican flair. It would also taste great with a sprinkling of crumbled feta and some chopped basil.
How To Make Corn Salad
This corn bean salad is very easy to put together:
- Add the dressing ingredients to a bowl & whisk (as per the recipe below)
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Let the salad marinate in refrigerator and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Letting this summer corn salad sit in the fridge for an hour gives the salad time to absorb more of the dressing, giving it a deeper flavor.
- The dressing can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Add a pinch of sugar to enhance the sweetness of the salad.
What Goes Well With Corn Salad
This versatile side dish goes well with all kinds of meat, fish, or seafood entrees. It’s perfect alongside a Smoked Beef Brisket, a Rotisserie Chicken, or with Pork Carnitas. Seafood or fresh fish offerings include Oven Baked Tilapia or Baked Whole Fish. Or try it as a healthy vegetarian lunch with a dollop of delicious Smoked Tomato Guacamole or some Restaurant Style Salsa.
Stored in an airtight container, bean salad will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. For the freezer, make the salad in advance omitting the cilantro. Try freezing it in small serving containers for a quick and easy lunch. Let it thaw at room temperature, then add fresh cilantro.
Salads We Love
- Greek Salad Recipe – zesty flavor!
- Chickpea Salad – satisfying and delicious.
- Orzo Pasta Salad – Mediterranean-style salad.
- Thai Quinoa Salad – something different and delish!
- Kale Salad– a hearty salad.
Black Bean Corn Salad
- 3 cups corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Add dressing ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion, then toss to combine. Add cilantro and toss to combine.
- Rest for 15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Black Bean Corn Salad Recipe!
Recipe inspired by Spend With Pennies
What if you don’t use/like any type of vinegar? Would lemon juice work with the olive oil for a dressing?
While I have not tried it without the vinegar, I think that would work. Let us know how if you try it without vinegar Ida!
Is the serving size 1/2 cup?
Yes Shelley, the serving size as a side is just over about ½ cup. Enjoy the salad!