We love a fresh, creamy dill salad dressing on crisp greens!
Also known as Buttermilk Dill Dressing, pre-made packages and bottles of dill dressing are very popular, but why not make it homemade for amazing fresh taste? Dill dressing is similar to our dillionaire veggie dip, but it’s thinned out without losing any of the flavors, so it’s perfect for drizzling on salads, or salmon.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Creamy Dill Dressing Recipe to your Salad Board!
Delicious Dill Dressing
Dill salad dressing has all the fresh flavors of summer, as seen in my very popular, and one of my very favorite salads, Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette! And fresh dill is so easy to grow or find in the market! A dash of dill pickle juice gives dill dressing a bright and tangy flavor. This recipe is even creamier with the addition of sour cream, but it’s versatile too, so feel free to use what’s on hand or mix things up!
Ingredients and Variations
DAIRY: The foundation of this recipe is buttermilk, sour cream, and mayonnaise to make it super creamy! Or, sub out the sour cream with plain yogurt or Greek yogurt for an even thicker result. If you prefer a thicker dressing, I suggest adding half of the amount of buttermilk to start, then add a little more at a time until you get the consistency you desire.
HERBS: Minced fresh dill is what makes this dressing so popular! Store-bought ranch dressing is heavy on the chives but the herb in this recipe is uncomplicated dill so that earthy, green flavor really stands out!
FLAVORS: Play with different acids like white vinegar or lemon juice if pickle juice isn’t available.
How to Make Dill Salad Dressing
It’s ready in two easy steps giving the chef time to play around with the amounts to make a signature dressing!
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- The best way to serve this dressing is extra cold, so if you have a chance, let it chill in the refrigerator at least an hour before using.
What to Serve it With
This dill buttermilk dressing is perfect for a wedge salad, or any green salad.
- Try making dill ranch dressing for a crudité platter with broccoli and cauliflower florets, fresh mushrooms, cucumbers, carrots, and snap peas! (Reduce the buttermilk for a thicker dip, or add a packet of ranch dressing mix!)
- Use as a dressing for potato salad, macaroni salad, or even a tangy topping for burgers and sandwiches! We especially like it in tuna or turkey salads!
- Add it in place of sour cream to twice baked potatoes. Trust me, this is so delicious!
- Pour it on steamed baby potatoes instead of sour cream.
- Why not brush some on freshly prepared corn on the cob instead of plain butter? Or serve it as a dipping sauce with tilapia filets.
- Pour some dressing into an ice cube tray and freeze the cubes to add to mashed potatoes, or to serve alongside baked fish!
- Keep dill salad dressing in a mason jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid in the fridge. We used the OXO Salad Dressing Shaker to store, which is great because it seals well, pours well, and makes no mess!
- Dill dressing should last up to 3 weeks (if it’s not gone before then!).
- To refresh it, add some more minced fresh dill & crushed black pepper!
Favorite Dressing Recipes
- Blue Cheese Dressing – Bright and flavorful
- Greek Salad Dressing – Fresh and tangy
- Creamy Dill Dressing – So creamy
- Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe – Better than Olive Gardens dressing
Creamy Dill Dressing
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup sour cream light *to substitute with Dillionaire Dip, see notes
- ¼ cup mayonnaise *to substitute with Dillionaire Dip, see notes
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill finely chopped *see notes if substitute dillionaire dip
- 2 Tablespoons pickle juice or white vinegar *see notes if substitute dillionaire dip
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce *see notes if substitute dillionaire dip
- 2 cloves garlic minced *see notes if substitute dillionaire dip
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Combine buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, pickle juice, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- pickle juice, now add 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon total
- Worcestershire sauce, now add 1 teaspoon total
- fresh dill, now add 1 Tablespoon total
- garlic, minced, now add 1 clove total
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN This Creamy Dill Dressing Recipe!