Step up your sandwich game and make our delicious hot Italian Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich!
We put a new spin on a classic favorite! Open faced roast beef sandwiches can be hot and ready in less than 30 minutes using leftover roast beef! No leftovers? Deli roast beef will do in a pinch but we have some “start from scratch’” roast beef recipes for you too!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich recipe to your DINNER Board!
Why We Love This Recipe
Most people have a decent cold roast beef sandwich recipe made from leftovers, but we came up with some new, delicious ideas for repurposing the meat into a mouthwateringly juicy hot and hearty sandwich! But if you want to start from scratch, we think these are the easiest and the best recipes for a sous vide round roast or a prime rib. Both recipes also make their own savory au jus!
Ingredients and Variations
BAGUETTE A good homemade roast beef sandwich starts with great bread for sopping up the au jus or your preferred dipping sauce. The best kind of bread will be thick and sturdy, like a baguette, or a crusty boule.
SAUCE We are fond of sour cream mixed with horseradish or this uniquely flavored creamy dill dressing.
CONDIMENTS & ADD ONS Onion jam, bacon jam, even a light swipe of apple jelly will add a sweet/savory flavor against the tang of mustard and horseradish. And for toppings, we like to return the assembled sandwich halves to the broiler with some cheddar or provolone cheese on top until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
How to Make Roast Beef Sandwich
The best hot roast beef sandwich ever is actually super easy to make!
- Cut a baguette in half lengthwise and then each half into 3 pieces for a total of 6 pieces.
- Butter each piece of bread, sprinkle on garlic powder and chopped parsley.
- Broil until the tops are browned.
- To each piece, add desired condiment, horseradish, and Dijon mustard to taste.
- Top with slices of roast beef and serve with au jus or dipping sauce of your choice.
All good sandwiches come with good sides! Here are a few of our favorites!
Oven baked fries, smoked deviled eggs, and, of course, a tangy and creamy coleslaw salad!
Tips and Tricks
- Depending on how close the rack is to the broiler, it may take less time to broil the tops of the baguettes since they are ‘tall’ pieces of bread. 1 to 2 minutes might be all you need, watch the oven carefully.
- Deli or cold roast beef can be easily reheated in the microwave before adding to the top of the sandwich, add some broth to the meat to keep it from drying out and making a little ‘au jus’ in the process.
- A clove of garlic can be rubbed over the broiled bread in place of garlic powder.
- If using a round boule as the base, simply cut it into thick slices and follow the recipe the same way.
Wrap leftover sandwiches tightly in plastic wrap and keep them in the refrigerator and they will keep about 2 days. This makes them great for a grab-and-go lunch for work or school since they can be eaten cold or reheated in the microwave!
Other Tasty Recipe Ideas!
- Italian Meatballs – a classic recipe!
- Simple Beef Stroganoff – easy and favorite.
- Swiss Steak Recipe – delicious family meal.
- Chili With Stew Meat – perfect anytime!
- Ham and Swiss Sliders – another easy sandwich idea
Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich
- ½ baguette
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 6-9 Tablespoons onion jam or garlic jam, or other jelly, to taste
- 6-9 Tablespoons horseradish sauce to taste
- 4-6 Tablespoons Dijon mustard to taste
- 1 ½ - 2 pounds cooked roast beef thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking tray with foil paper.
- Cut half of a baguette lengthwise to expose the bread, cut each half into thirds. You’ll have 6 open faced pieces.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of butter on each piece of bread and place on foil lined baking tray. Sprinkle each piece with garlic powder and parsley to taste.
- Broil until browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of onion jam (or to taste), 1 Tablespoon of horseradish (or to taste), and 2 teaspoons mustard (or to taste). Add a couple of slices of roast beef and serve.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Pin this Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich recipe!