Look no further than this 5-star Hamburger Casserole recipe for a delicious and easy dinner just waiting to be made.
Nothing beats a casserole that is both hearty and filling, but still quick and easy to make. And that is why this old-fashioned hamburger recipe has remained a classic! Made with simple ingredients like rotini pasta noodles, tomato soup, ground beef, onions, garlic and cheese, this creamy and cheesy casserole is comforting and delicious. It can also be prepared in advance and popped in the oven, perfect for a quick weekday dinner when time is tight!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Hamburger Casserole recipe to your MAIN DISHES Board!
Heavenly Hamburger Casserole
- This dish is so easy to make. Simply cook the noodles, brown the meat and add the extra ingredients. So simple.
- The pasta in this dish makes this casserole so hearty and filling.
- Casseroles like this hamburger casserole and others like a tater tot casserole, or cheesy scalloped potatoes can be prepared in advance, making them the best for those hectic weekday nights.
What’s in Hamburger Casserole?
PASTA: Those distinctive spiraled noodles, called rotini, are the main pasta ingredients for this recipe. However, macaroni noodles, penne, egg noodles, and even rice can be used as a replacement.
BEEF: Remember to sauté the ground beef until no pink remains. Lean or regular beef can be used.
SAUCE: The sauce for this recipe is made up of 2 cans of tomato soup, some water, and cheese. For a creamier sauce replace the tomato soup, with cans of cream of mushroom soup.
VARIATIONS: To add some more color, add some grated zucchini, or cabbage. To make it a keto meal replace the noodles with some riced cauliflower.
How to Make Hamburger Casserole
Casseroles are the perfect weekday meal or potluck dish.
- Cook the pasta.
- Scramble fry beef, garlic, and onion.
- Add cooked pasta, soup, water, and cheese to the skillet.
- Pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake (as per the recipe below).
What to Serve With Hamburger Casserole
Hamburger casserole is a hearty meal, so some lighter sides might be in order. Try a salad like kale salad, or a Greek salad. Serve with warm side dishes like parmesan roasted broccoli, oven-roasted asparagus, and air fryer green beans.
Storing Leftover Casserole
This casserole is the best because it will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen and will keep for 3 months in the freezer. To reheat simply add to an oven-proof container, and place in a 350°F preheated oven until heated through. Or place them in individual containers and have them ready to bring for lunch!
More Casserole Dishes
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole – Cabbage rolls without the fuss.
- Crack Chicken Casserole – With cheesy tater tots.
- Pierogi Casserole– Super easy to make.
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole – Dinner in under an hour.
- 1 pound rotini pasta or pasta shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 20 ounces condensed tomato soup 2 cans
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese or mozzarella, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley optional for garnish
- Cook and drain pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Add ground beef, onion, and garlic a to large skillet or frying pan on medium high heat. Cook until meat is browned, breaking up with meat chopper (or wooden spoon), about 5-7 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta, soup, water, 1 cup cheddar, ½ cup mozzarella, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Pour into baking dish, top with remaining cheese, and cover.
- Bake for 20 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and pepper, if using.
- For a spicier version, add ¼-½ teaspoon chili flakes along with the soup.
- Refrigerate Hamburger Casserole in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, wrap cooled portions in plastic wrap and place in a zippered bag in the freezer for 3 months.
- Reheat individual portions in the microwave, or in the oven at 350˚F until heated through.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Hamburger Casserole recipe!
Thank you Robert!
This Hamburger Casserole is so easy and delicious! I love that it is a one-hour recipe.
Lots to love about the casserole, I agree!
Kids absolutely loved this dish for the whole week.