This Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe is so good that it’s become one of those iconic dishes that carry on from generation to generation!
Almost everyone has one or two versions of Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes in their recipe collection. Our easy recipe is the first and last recipe you will ever need! This is one casserole that never fails to please. Step away from the processed boxed stovetop versions and make your own creamy, cheesy, super delish homemade recipe.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe to your SIDE DISH Board!
Why We Love Homemade Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
We love easy recipes that can be baked from scratch with little fuss and muss! Cheesy scalloped potatoes are a great party or potluck recipe because who doesn’t love potatoes and cheese? This recipe also lends itself well to be an entrée on its own when you add proteins like ham or smoked sliced kielbasa sausage. And it’s perfect for using up leftovers, too! Toss in some leftover chopped broccoli, spinach, or mushrooms. When a hearty homestyle meal is called for, serve scalloped potatoes with pork chops, buttermilk fried chicken, or some yummy smoked baby back ribs! Add a crispy salad and a side of honey cornbread muffins.
Ingredients and Variations
POTATOES – Potatoes are thin sliced and become deliciously caramelized and cheesy in the sauce.
DAIRY – Loads of sharp cheddar paired with rich cream make and easy cheesy sauce that’s super savory.
SEASONING – A handful of savory herbs and spices like thyme, parsley, salt & ground black pepper are baked together for an aromatic side dish or entrée.
TOPPING – For a crunchy, au gratin-style topping, top with seasoned bread crumbs or bacon bits!
SHORTCUT INGREDIENTS – Take a shortcut and mix the potatoes with Velveeta cheese and a can of cream of mushroom soup instead of the cream.
How to Make Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are a super easy side dish to make but the delicious results tell a different story!
- Layer potatoes in casserole, top with onions, cheese. Repeat layers with cheese ending on the top.
- Heat cream on stovetop with fresh thyme, salt & pepper, pour over potatoes. PRO TIP: Adding a pinch of garlic powder to the cream mixture will add some depth of flavor.
- Cover casserole and bake according to recipe below, until potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted and browned.
Make in a Crockpot
Good news, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes can also be made in the slow cooker for an easy meal you can come home to!
- Layer the sliced potatoes on the bottom of Crockpot, and then top with onions, cheddar cheese, parmesan. Repeat the layers with cheese ending on the top.
- In a saucepan, heat the cream with the thyme and salt, and pepper. Remove from heat, discard thyme and pour over potatoes.
- Cook on high heat for 3 to 4 hours or 5 to 6 on low.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Slice potatoes uniformly so they all cook at the same rate. Try using a mandolin!
- Place casserole under the broiler for about 2 to 3 minutes to make the cheese super melty or the au gratin topping super crunchy!
- Instead of greasing it, try lining the casserole dish with parchment paper for easy clean-up!
- If you’re watching your fat intake make the sauce by whisking a roux made by cooking 3 tablespoons of flour with 3 tablespoons of butter and adding it to low fat milk or broth instead of using heavy cream.
Other Easy Potato Side Dishes!
- Baby Potatoes Recipe – so easy!
- Oven Roasted Potatoes – everyone’s favorite.
- Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes (Irish Potato Bread) – perfect use of leftovers!
- Irish Potato Recipe (Irish Champ) – an easy classic.
- Glazed Sweet Potatoes – delicious!
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- butter for greasing casserole dish*
- 6 potatoes thin skinned white or red potatoes, cut into ⅛” slices, 2½-3 pounds
- 2-3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- ½-1 onion very thinly sliced (I use ½ large onion)
- 2 cups heavy cream **
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- fresh thyme or parsley, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a casserole dish.
- To the bottom of the casserole dish, add a layer of potatoes, a thin layer of onions, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, and a small sprinkle of parmesan, repeating until the ingredients are used up. We make about 5-6 layers, ending with cheese on the top.
- To a medium saucepan, add cream**, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Remove thyme. Carefully pour over the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove foil and bake 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender and cooked through and cheese is browned.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Pin this Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe!