Every home cook needs a classic recipe for homemade Slow Cooker Baked Beans!
This easy side dish recipe produces rich, full-bodied and flavorful baked beans that anyone can make from scratch in just two simple steps! And cooking them in the Crock pot means you can basically set it and forget it, until dinner time!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Slow Cooker Baked Beans recipe to your SIDES Board!
The Best Baked Beans!
Beans are a staple in many kitchens both for their affordability and versatility, especially for vegetarians! This recipe makes it even easier using canned beans that don’t need to be pre-soaked!
This ‘from scratch’ recipe is made easy in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. Simply set it and forget it! Keep it vegetarian or use sausage, ham, ground beef, and everyone’s favorite, bacon!
Baked beans are a picnic and party favorite so hold onto this recipe to make over and over again! Serve them alongside Smoked Baby Back Ribs or Air Fryer Buttermilk Fried Chicken, with a fresh Creamy Coleslaw.
Ingredients and Variations
BEANS: Navy beans are the standard in baked beans, however, any mixture of dry beans can be used, but will need to be rinsed and pre-soaked before cooking.
SAUCE: Most canned baked beans are packed in a mildly seasoned tomato-based sauce. This recipe adds extra ingredients like molasses, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar to make the sauce extra rich and hearty! Switch up the flavors by using maple syrup, honey, or your favorite BBQ sauce, hickory-smoked or bourbon flavored are popular choices! Even a pint of Guinness beer adds a depth of flavor!
How to Make Baked Beans
We have three different methods for cooking these tasty baked beans:
- Saute onion in olive oil until translucent.
Slow Cooker: Place sauteed onions on the bottom of the slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine everything and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
Stovetop: Place sauteed onions in the bottom of a large stockpot or Dutch oven and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine and cook on medium heat until everything is heated through.
In the Oven: Place sauteed onions in the bottom of a casserole dish and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine and bake in the oven until heated through.
Tips & Tricks
- Thicken slow cooker baked beans by making a slurry from a 1:1 ratio of corn starch to cold water. Whisk the slurry until it’s smooth and add to the beans. Stir and let cook every 15 minutes until the beans are thick enough.
- Another alternative is to remove a half cup of the beans and puree them in a blender then return them to the slow cooker, pot, or casserole dish.
- For best results, choose pork or bacon pieces that are thick and fatty to provide the most flavor.
Slow cooker baked beans will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave and add a little extra BBQ sauce or molasses to brighten the flavors again. Freeze cooled baked beans in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 8 weeks.
Other Easy Side Dishes To Try
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts – a delicious side!
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – classic favorite.
- Bow Tie Pesto Pasta Salad – perfect for potlucks.
- Greek Salad Recipe – excellent!
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced (¾-1 cup)
- 40-45 ounces baked beans 3 cans
- 3-4 ounces garlic sausage diced (or double smoked thick cut bacon)
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce strong flavor like Bullseye
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons molasses if not available, add one extra Tablespoon brown sugar
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil on medium-low. Add onion and cook until translucent (not browned), about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and all ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Taste, and adjust flavors to taste.
- Allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving (will thicken).
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Simple Slow Cooker Baked Beans recipe!
I picked this recipe because I had all the ingredients. I received many compliments. Next time I may add bacon and maybe something to make them spicy. Very good baked bean recipe but I sort of like a kick to my food.
So happy to hear that you love these beans Milan! Bacon and spices sound like great additions!