This is the best tater tot casserole recipe you’ll ever find!
What makes this cheesy tater tot casserole recipe so amazing is that it can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner depending on the ingredients that are added to it!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Tater Tot Casserole to your Dinner Board!
For a Mexican version, use chorizo instead of ground beef. For a Taco version, add taco seasonings and shredded cheddar cheese on the top! Sounds amazing, doesn’t it? This step-by-step recipe produces a hearty, flavorful casserole that will have everyone coming back for seconds!
Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
Nearly anything can be added to a tater tot casserole, as long as the condensed soup and cheese are added to blend and hold everything together.
- MEAT: With ground beef, chicken, sausage, ham, or bacon, this easy tater tot casserole is a perfect hot dish to take to picnics, parties, or buffets!
- VEGGIES: Get creative with switching up the mixed veggies or try all broccoli or all green beans for a healthy, nutrition-packed casserole!
- BASE: What’s the secret ingredient? Why Campbell’s condensed soup, of course! In this recipe, we used cream of mushroom & broccoli cheddar, but why not try other soups like cheddar cheese soup for a Chili Cheeseburger tater tot casserole?
- ADDITIONS: Even adding a scrambled egg or two to the soup mixture will give the casserole additional texture and some extra nutrition.
- TOPPINGS: Top casserole with sour cream, guacamole, or salsa.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
A hamburger tater tot casserole starts with cooked ground beef, seasonings, veggies, and of course, tater tots!
- Cook beef with onion, using a meat chopper to break up the meat, until the pink is gone and drain the fat.
- Mix soup, garlic powder, seasonings, veggies, and half the cheese. Add the meat mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture in an even layer in a prepared casserole dish. Cover casserole with tater tots and sprinkle with cheese. Kiddos LOVE adding the tots on top!
How Long to Bake Tater Tot Casserole
Bake until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 35 to 40 minutes, and the casserole is heated through.
To make cheesy tater tot casserole in a Crockpot, layer the same way and cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour or until the cheese on top is melted.
What Goes with Tater Tot Casserole?
Cheesy tater tot casserole is a whole meal in itself but here are some ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner casseroles!
- Breakfast: Mixed fruit, biscuits, Irish potatoes, sides of breakfast ham, or bacon.
- Lunch: Red leaf salad, slices of cantaloupe, honeydew, or watermelon.
- Dinner: Mashed potatoes, a green salad, roasted broccoli, buns.
How to Reheat Tater Tot Casserole
Tater tot casserole tastes even better the next day! Keep leftover hot dish covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator and it will keep for up to 4 days.
To reheat tater tot casserole, place single portions in a microwave-safe dish and heat through. Refresh with a few dashes of salt and pepper and a fresh dollop of sour cream.
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of broccoli cheese soup 1 can (or other creamed soup*)
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian dressing mix or Italian seasoning
- 1 ½-2 cups frozen vegetables or fresh, diced
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, cook onion and beef until onion is translucent and beef is browned. Drain.
- Meanwhile, mix together soups, garlic powder, Italian dressing mix, vegetables, ½ cup cheese, and salt and pepper if using. Add onion and beef once cooked and mix through.
- Add to casserole dish and spread along the bottom. Arrange tater tots on top of meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until bubbling and cheese is browned.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Pin this Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe!