There’s nothing like this Oven Roasted Asparagus recipe for a simple savory side or appetizer.
Summer and fall are asparagus seasons! Pick some up at the local farmer’s market, harvest it from the garden, or pick it up at the supermarket while it’s in season. This recipe makes asparagus that is perfect as a hand-held appetizer or an elegant side dish. Crisp and lightly seasoned with a little oil, garlic powder and lemon, oven-roasted asparagus comes out perfectly every time. Try it with supper tonight!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Oven Roasted Asparagus recipe to your SIDE DISHES Board!
The Easiest Side Dish
- Cook this asparagus recipe on the same baking sheet as other veggies like mushrooms, sliced red potatoes, even some smaller pieces of chicken or salmon filets. It doesn’t take long to make this yummy side dish, especially when company is coming!
- Serve them hot or cold with a couple of these delicious dips! Easy Greek Yogurt Dip, Tzatziki, or a favorite pre-made Dijon honey mustard. Season and toast along with a vegetable medley of broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots. Even frozen veggies will do!
- Layer in Spinach Lasagna or serve alongside an Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich. Or display it on an appetizer table with some Ricotta Toast and Cranberry Meatballs.
What’s in Oven Roasted Asparagus?
ASPARAGUS – Look for spears that are relatively the same width and same length so they roast at the same rate. Make sure the ends are firm, and the color is bright and fresh looking.
SEASONING – Keep the fresh, sweet flavor of the asparagus and season with a squeeze of fresh lemon and some zest. Garlic powder added to salt and pepper gives the dish a savory flavor.
Asparagus has a mild, ’green’ sweet flavor so all kinds of herbs, seasonings, and spices can be used to create a signature recipe! Try tossing prepared asparagus spears in Italian Dressing Mix, some Jerk Seasoning, taco seasoning, or ranch dressing mix!
How to Prep Asparagus
For best results every time, snap or cut off the bottom section (about 1 1/2” from the bottom). This portion is too tough, dense and tastes bitter. Leave the small triangular leaves on the stem, or trim them off. Make sure to rinse asparagus thoroughly to remove any sand. Then pat dry with a towel or drain thoroughly before roasting.
How to Roast Asparagus
It doesn’t get much easier than just two simple steps:
- Prepare asparagus spears and season (per recipe below).
- Roast at a temperature of 350˚F or 400˚F depending on if other items are added to the sheet pan.
PRO TIP: Once cooked, sprinkle a little balsamic vinegar over them and top with parmesan cheese. Place under the broiler and roast until the cheese is melted and bubbly on the spears. Serve immediately.
Store leftover asparagus in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat under the broiler to crisp them up and serve. The best way to freeze and reuse leftover asparagus is to cut them into smaller pieces, freeze up to 4 weeks and add thawed pieces to soups, omelettes, or in a stir fry.
Other Vegetable Side Dishes To Try!
- Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus – quick and easy.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob – sweet and delicious.
- Air Fryer Broccoli Recipe – perfectly cooked.
- Kale Salad – fresh and crisp.
- Oven Roasted Radishes – delicious and low carb!
Oven Roasted Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus or 1 bunch
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ Tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry asparagus. Break the woody ends by holding each spear of asparagus near the middle and bottom, and snap the end off.
- On parchment lined baking tray, toss asparagus with oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Spread evenly in a single layer.
- Roast asparagus until tender*, about 8-10 minutes, until cooked to desired doneness.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss with lemon zest.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.