Ricotta Toast is a simple recipe that brings a touch of elegance to the table!
It’s an easy and fancy-looking appetizer or summer afternoon snack. Ricotta toast is a combination of creamy cheese, crunchy French bread with the lightest and brightest flavors of summer – herbs and tomatoes. Then highlight with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and it’s definitely a recipe for success. Keep this recipe close at hand to share with your guests because they will be asking for it!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Ricotta Toast recipe to your APPETIZERS Board!
Tasty Ricotta Toast
- Ricotta toast is easy enough to make in just a few minutes but it’s also a deliciously upscaled tapenade offering for a party or fancy celebration.
- In the summer it’s great opportunity to use up fresh herbs from the garden or farmer’s market. And it’s fun to experiment with different combinations of cheese, herbs, and toppings.
- Serve with some equally fancy Rhubarb Liqueur or top with Smoked Tomatoes instead of grape tomatoes.
BREAD: French bread has the perfect texture for ricotta toast, but sourdough, challah, or even cinnamon raisin bread can be used for a sweet, breakfast-style toast. This recipe for homemade, artisanal style No Knead Bread has the perfect texture and crust. Bread can be cut in slices, halves, or diagonally for a more dramatic effect. Cut bread in 1” slices and slice halfway through a piece and stuff the pocket with seasoned cheese. Toast the stuffed ricotta toast under the broiler and drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, or honey.
CHEESE: Ricotta cheese gives this toast its unmistakably rich flavor, but small curd cottage cheese could be used, as could burrata, or even thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. For extra fluffy cheese, whip it with a whisk before adding the other ingredients.
TOPPINGS: Tomatoes, basil, green onions, and a handful of seasonings are added to ricotta toast and a quick drizzle of olive oil and balsamic gives it that final touch. Avocado can replace or be added to the tomatoes.
OTHER TOPPINGS: As long as the bread and seasoned cheese are on the toast, all kinds of other toppings can be added. Try one or a combination of sliced pears, strawberries, halved grapes, or avocado slices. Other options include sliced radishes with prosciutto or salami. Or drizzle with honey, or a smear of fig preserves. And sprinkle a little bit of lemon zest on top for a burst of colorful flavor. Top toasts with pistachios, sunflower seeds, or walnuts.
How to Make Ricotta Toast
These little bruschetta style toasts are so easy to make, and it can be fun to create your own signature recipe, too, using this as a baseline.
- Mix cheese, basil, green onion, garlic, salt, and pepper (per recipe below).
- Divide cheese mixture evenly over toasted bread and sprinkle with basil. Add any additional toppings at this step.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze (if using). Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Keep any leftover pieces in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Reheat pieces by placing them on a baking sheet and placing them under the broiler for about 2 minutes or just until the cheese and toast starts to brown.
- Smoked Tomatoes – delish side or topping!
- Air Fryer Green Beans – perfect dipper.
- Easy Greek Yogurt Dip – tangy and appetizing.
- Baked Brie With Berries – gourmet appeal!
- Thai Quinoa Salad – the perfect complement.
- 6 slices French bread or sourdough bread, or your favorite bread
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 3 Tablespoons basil chiffonade or chopped, divided
- 1 Tablespoon green onion or chives, sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste, plus more for garnish
- ½ pint grape tomatoes halved, or cherry tomatoes (and/or 1 avocado, thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic glaze optional
- In a small bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, 2 Tablespoons basil, green onions, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper until well combined.
- Meanwhile, toast bread lightly.
- Spread about 2 Tablespoons of the ricotta cheese mixture on each slice of toast (divide evenly). Add 7-8 grape tomato halves to each slice. Sprinkle with basil. Drizzle with olive oil (and balsamic glaze if using).
- Lightly sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Ricotta Toast Recipe!