With chewy dumplings covered in a cheesy and creamy sauce, this Pierogi Casserole is such a savory and simple meal.
This tasty and filling casserole is loaded with baked perogies and smothered in creamy mushroom soup with onion and ham. Served with sour cream, it’s a home cooked comfort meal that is so easy to put together. New cooks and even kids can easily make this delicious casserole, and then have the satisfaction of making something the whole family will rave about.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Pierogi Casserole recipe to your CASSEROLES Board!
Why We Love this Pierogi Casserole Recipe
- This perogie casserole is so incredibly easy to make, and it makes frozen perogies taste super fresh. Even store bought perogies end up tasting almost like the ones that Babunia makes!
- It is the best for those nights when everyone is on the go and something filling and quick to cook is desired.
- It’s the kind of meal that’s perfect when something everyone is sure to like is needed.
What Is It?
A pierogie (or perogy) is a stuffed dumpling that has a pasta-like consistency. However, unlike pasta, pierogies are made with whipped potatoes and milk, giving them a chewier and tastier flavor. A traditional Polish and Eastern European dish, pierogies are so inconceivably delicious when they are straight from the stovetop and homemade like my grandma’s. But to save time, this recipe calls for store-bought packaged pierogies. Similar to Leftover Pulled Pork Tater Tot Casserole Recipe or a crack chicken casserole, these “lazy” perogies are cooked in a baking dish, covered in canned mushroom soup, sprinkled with cheese, and baked in the oven.
Ingredients and Variations
THE PIEROGIES – Pierogies are potato dough stuffed with smooth and velvety cheese. Although more well known for that cheesy interior they were also traditionally stuffed with sauerkraut, hamburger meat, mushrooms, and sometimes even plums and blueberries. The dessert pierogies, stuffed with fruit, are sometimes fried with butter and bread crumbs. Frozen pierogies can be found in most frozen food aisles. Make sure that for this recipe they are stuffed with cheese, or possibly a meat mixture. Two packages will be required for this recipe.
SAUCE – A quick and simple cheese sauce made with canned mushroom soup, milk, and topped with cheese. Generally, perogies are served with creamy sauces like this one, or a generous helping of caramelized onions. But they also taste great with simple sour cream, or even a side of Greek Tzatziki!
MEAT – This recipe is sprinkled with ham, but it would also go great with sausages like kielbasa, or Italian sausage. Remember to chop the sausage into smaller pieces so the meat doesn’t overwhelm the dish.
Tips and Tricks
- These pierogies can also be made in the Crockpot or Instant Pot.
- Definitely serve this recipe with a side of sour cream! And for saucier pierogies, we suggest doubling the amount of milk the recipe calls for, which makes it so good!
- Add a little chopped spinach to the casserole to give it a splash of green.
- Make sure to arrange the pierogies nicely in the pan, with no overlapping. This helps to make sure they stay nice and plump during cooking, and don’t accidentally tear open. They’ll also cook more evenly this way.
Storing and Reheating
Pierogies can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat the casserole, add about ¼-⅓ cup milk, cover tightly, and then reheat in a 350°F oven for about 20 minutes. It can also be reheated in the microwave.
Comfort Food Favorites
- Tater Tot Casserole – crunchy topping!
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Gnocchi Recipe – special mealtime favorite.
- Easy Turkey Pot Pie – easy as pie!
- Best Pot Roast – juicy and tender.
- Stuffed Pasta Shells – surprisingly easy.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1½ cups milk or ¾ cup *see note
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds frozen pierogies about 28 pierogies, 2 bags (more or less would work)
- 1 ½ cup ham cooked and diced
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill or parsley, for garnish, optional
- sour cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter on medium low. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix mushroom soup, milk, and garlic powder until smooth. Set aside.
- Add pierogies to the casserole dish, arranging them carefully without overlapping. Sprinkle with cooked onion and ham.
- Pour soup mixture over the entire pan, spreading to cover evenly. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour. Garnish with fresh dill or parsley if desired. Serve with sour cream or your favorite pierogi garnishes.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Pierogi Casserole recipe!
Recipe adapted from The Shortcut Kitchen
Hey Candace love your recipes! The Pierogi casserole do you thaw the pierogi’s ? Thanks
Hi Ann marie, thank you very much! The beauty of this recipe is that they go in frozen! Super easy!