Finding ideas for leftovers shouldn’t be a chore and that’s where this Leftover Pulled Pork Tater Tot Casserole recipe comes in.
This leftover pulled pork casserole makes a pleasing dish that is loaded with cheese, meat, and vegetables dripping in a creamy white sauce. This delicious casserole is a classic comfort food meal that’s super easy to make too! Perfect to make ahead of time and keep in the freezer for a quick and easy weeknight dinner that everyone will love!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Leftover Pulled Pork Tater Tot Casserole recipe to your CASSEROLES Board!
Why We Love This Pulled Pork Tater Tot Casserole
- What to do with leftover pulled pork? Maybe you tried our smoked pulled pork recipe and need some way of stretching those sweet leftovers of smoked pork shoulder into a cheesy and easy meal.
- If it just so happens that there is a hankering in the household for something cheesy like a cowboy casserole, this recipe fits the bill.
- Plus leftovers should be simple but also with veggies, right? Well, here’s the perfect recipe that uses up leftovers while making them into a whole new dish.
Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients and Variations
THE VEGETABLES Onion, mushroom, pepper, and corn are the vegetables of choice. Fresh corn can be cut off the cobs, or frozen corn can be used. Other vegetables that can be tossed in are broccoli and green beans. Remember to cut them into bite-sized pieces.
THE MEAT Leftover pulled pork is the main meat for this dish. However, chicken, sausage, beef, ground beef, ham, and ground pork, even pork chops can also be used. Although these should all be cooked in the oven or on the barbeque before being added to the casserole.
THE SAUCE This recipe calls for canned cream of mushroom soup, although cream of chicken soup can be a substitute. To make a sauce without soup in a can, try a roux. Add ¼ cup butter to a small fry pan. Once it is melted add a ¼ cup of white flour. Keep stirring until a thick sauce develops. Watch it does not burn.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
This recipe assembles easily and is cooked in 35 to 40 minutes:
- Sauté the vegetables
- Mix the spices, cheese, vegetables & cooked pork
- Add to a pan & sprinkle with a layer of corn
- Arrange the tater tots on top & then layer with cheese. Bake per recipe below.
Tips and Tricks
- This recipe can also be made in the Crockpot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- As a finishing touch sprinkle with cooked bacon or bacon bits and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve it up for breakfast or as a side with pasta.
Storing and Reheating
Leftover pulled pork tater tot casserole can be reheated covered in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes. It will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days. Need some other ideas for leftover pulled pork recipes or other leftover BBQ pork, try tasty pulled pork carnitas, or use the pulled pork as a topping for a Mexican taco. Or make sliders with homemade hamburger buns.
- Chicken Broccoli Bake – all in one meal!
- Tater Tot Casserole – comfort food fave.
- Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese – classic delish!
- Chicken Lasagna – lasagna with a twist.
- Pierogi Casserole– almost as good as Grandma’s pierogies!
Leftover Pulled Pork Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 6-8 cups pulled pork
- 18 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup ready to eat, 1 can*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1/8-¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1-1 ½ cups corn cut off the cob or nibs
- 2 pounds tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, cook onion, green peppers, and mushrooms until onion is translucent and peppers and mushrooms are mostly cooked, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together soup, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, chili powder, ½ cup cheese, salt, and pepper. Add pulled pork mixture once cooked, and mix through.
- Add to casserole dish and spread along the bottom. Sprinkle with corn. Arrange tater tots on top of corn. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until bubbling and cheese is browned.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.