Oven baked fries are the answer to bringing home America’s favorite side dish!
For those avoiding deep-fried foods, these homemade baked French fries have all the flavor and crunch without being soaked and fried in oil. Seasoning with lemon pepper gives our recipe a bright but savory flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Oven Baked Fries to your Side Dish Board!
This easy, homemade recipe for oven baked French fries will be a family favorite all year long!
Best Homemade French Fries
We think these are the best baked potato fries ever! Not only are they easy to make, but they also come out tender on the inside and crispy on the outside every time. Just a little seasoning, toss them in some oil, and our fresh-cut fries are ready to go!
Are Baked Fries Healthy?
Compared to the usual way of making French Fried potatoes, making homemade fries in an oven (or a convection oven) reduces the amount of oil. They’re just as tasty, but way healthier than deep-fried home fries.
How to Cut Potatoes Into Fries
The easiest way to cut potatoes into fries is to use a French fry cutter. These are stainless steel cutters that have cutting plates that create different widths for steak fries. They’re easy to use, and I’ve had mine forever! But if you don’t have one, it’s not hard to DIY.
- Simply slice a potato in half lengthwise, put the cut side down and cut desired width slices.
- Turn the slices on their sides, and cut lengthwise again.
PRO TIP: While working, place prepared fries in a bowl of cold water to keep them from getting brown.
Seasonings for Oven Baked Fries
The sky is the limit, here! Homemade fries can be served simply, or dressed up!
- Pre-packaged seasoning mixes like ranch, chili, and taco flavors will take these fries to the next level!
- We also like homemade mixes like Parmesan garlic or spicy barbecue.
- There are so many fun flavored salts to chose from, or even a simple seasoned salt
- Why not try a sprinkle of Pork Rub for an extra kick?
How to Bake French Fries
Homemade baked fries are so easy to make!
- Scrub potatoes and cut fries into desired size, with or without the skins left on. Keep cut potatoes in a bowl of water while the rest of the potatoes are being cut.
- Rinse potatoes and pat them dry. Put cut potatoes in a large bowl and toss them with olive oil and lemon pepper.
- Bake seasoned, hand cut fries on a parchment-lined baking sheet spaced apart so they don’t touch.
How Long to Bake French Fries
Bake for 25 minutes. Use a spatula and turn the fries over and bake another 25 minutes or until the fries are crispy on the outside.
What Temp to Bake Fries
For this recipe, bake the fries at 400° F. If using a convection oven, bake home fries at 375° F for about 40 minutes total or until they are done to your liking.
How to Make Oven Baked Fries Crispy
We find these fries crispy enough as is, but some folks (like my son!) like extra crispy!
- Make your Fresh cut fries extra crispy, just like the restaurant version by placing them under the broiler for about two minutes.
- Flip them, and broil for another two minutes. This makes them golden brown!
What to Serve Fries With
I think my family’s very favorite is serving fries with leftover turkey with gravy!
Tips for Perfect Fries
- Use potatoes that are high in starchy content like Russets because they are low in water content and will produce a fluffy interior while the exterior stays firm.
- Pat potatoes dry so the oil and seasonings cook onto them. A salad spinner can be a good tool to use to eliminate excess water. Otherwise, use a kitchen towel or paper towels to blot potatoes dry.
Reheat leftovers in the microwave for a minute or two, or if you want them crispy again, put them under the broiler for about 3 minutes, flipping them in between until hot and crispy. Re-season as desired and serve!
Oven Baked Fries
- 6 potatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons lemon pepper or preferred seasoning (with salt)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel potatoes (or scrub clean and leave peels if preferred). Cut into fries using knife or fry cutter. Place in a bowl of cold water as you cut remaining potatoes.
- Rinse potatoes and dry very well with a tea towel. (Spin dry using a salad spinner before using a towel helps). In a large bowl, toss potatoes with olive oil and lemon pepper.
- Place fries on parchment lined baking tray, leaving space between fries to allow for airflow.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Flip (or stir), and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until fries reach desired crispiness.
- Optional: Place fries under the broiler for about two minutes. Flip them, and broil for another two minutes. This makes them golden brown!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this Oven-Baked Fries Recipe!